Saturday, August 2, 2008

Saturday

Just a quick update: I scored 2 really really awesome brown microfiber armchairs at a yard sale today. The are in great condition and are contemporary just like I like. :-) I'm hoping they'll match the couch I picked out. If not we'll be selling the loveseat that is in the basement and putting them down there. I say that but actually getting rid of the loveseat will be another thing. It's bizarre but I am totally attached to that piece of furniture. Why? Because, it has a long history. It's the couch we had when Carter was born and I don't know how many hours I sat holding him, feeding him his bottles, and letting him sleep in my arms on that couch. In fact, when he learned to talk he called it "the mommy chair." It's really comfy so that's almost always where I would hold him and read books to him, where I'd comfort him when he was sick, where'd we fall asleep watching Elmo when he was sick, where on my highly arthritic days we'd play small games and cuddle and snuggle. So, while I know it's the memories I need to hold on to and not the couch I have to admit that I will be sad to see it go. Too bad I can't just knock out a wall and make the house a bit bigger so it could stay haha.

In other news, that baby countdown clock isn't going to be accurate. I saw the doctor on Friday and the signs of preeclampsia are increasing. He said that we'll probably need to have me induced at 37 or 38 weeks. Of course if it progresses rapidly it will be sooner than that but I am really hoping to hang in there until then so the baby is full term.

Today we went to Matt's grandpa's family reunion. I've never seen so many people with ice or crystal blue eyes in my life. You could definitely tell who the in-laws were. We stood out like sore thumbs. It was amazing to see these matching eyes everywhere. I'm sure I stared way too long but it was pretty mesmerizing. I wonder if Cricket will get those eyes? Obviously it's a dominant gene on Matt's grandpa's side but Matt's mom married a blue eyed man that whose blue eyes are recessive (his mom's where brown). I hope I'm getting all this right, it's been a long time since I was in biology. Anyway, Matt has blue eyes and my dad has blue eyes but because of the recessive aspect there was a possibility of brown/green eyes and Carter got them. I actually love that Carter has my eyes. I think it would be fun to have one of my kids get the ice blue color too. Gotta love genetics. Can't wait to see what our little cricket will look like! Wow, gotta go. Looks like Carter ate too much popcorn at the theatre with Matt and is puking. Poor kid!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Jim has green eyes, I have brown, and yet somehow Elijah got my mom's blue eyes. You just never know with those crazy genetics.

I hope you can keep Cricket cooking until she's full term! Let me know what I can do to lighten your load.

Nice work on the chairs! You are such a great bargain shopper.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I hope Carter feels better.

I know what you mean about getting attached to furniture. If you are thinking about getting rid of it you should do it before Cricket gets here, so you don't make more tender baby memories there.