Summer break has begun. Friday was the first official day and Friday seems like forever ago. I have made a goal to be better about keeping the house clean now that work is over. We made a good start by mopping the kitchen floor. Carter was a great helper. It was a Pippy Longstockings moment for sure! He had a scrub brush in one hand and magic eraser in the other and really helped a ton. It was great because he could get those hard to reach spots under the cabinets and along baseboards. He used a ton of water and ended up sliding back and forth on his knees from one end of the kitchen to the other. He was having a blast and we had our xm 80's station cranked up so it was a lot of fun.
Saturday I went garage sale-ing and totally scored! I got a cradle, an official thomas train table with the 3D faces, a cozy coupe, tikes water slide, and a lot more! My car was so packed that I had to leave some of the purchases at my in law's house. If you saw me on the road you'd swear I was moving or something. My absolute favorite purchase was an adorable bright red rocking chair for Cricket. It is so cute! It's ladderback style and looks like those adorbale ones at pottery barn. For all I know it could be pottery barn but I scored it for $5 and was in heaven the rest of the day. I got home just in time to get ready for the 50's ward dinner. We had a blast. I slicked back Carter's hair and it was funny to see him in such a different way.
Carter's really been missing school. During sacrament meeting he looked so bored that I leaned over and told him "guess what? In just a few Fridays we'll be in California!" He looked at me and asked if we could go on a different day because he didn't want to miss table points. When I reminded him that he didn't have school during summer he just slumped against my shoulder. Poor kid. Monday morning he woke up bright and early and asked if he was going to school. I again reminded him that it is summer break. He gave a dramatic sigh and said "this is the longest break ever!" Wow, it's going to be a long summer for him. I'm hoping he'll adjust to the new schedule. We have been soaking in the sun in the backyard and he's been playing with the water toys like the sprinker thing practically every day. He's also been catching up on Indiana Jones. He said he and his friends were talking about it at school. All of a sudden it's a huge interest for him and he begged to watch the movies until I finally gave in. He's quite impressed with the series. Matt's been wanting a fedora forever because he's balding and his head gets so sunburned. We finally were able to find a reasonable one (thanks to Indy promos). Here's a picture of Carter trying it on. I'm really hoping Carter will meet the height requirement for the Indy ride at Disneyland in 3 weeks. He's technically a quarter of an inch shy of the 46 inch requirement. As much as I hate to do it, I may allow him to wear thick tennis shoes just to boost him up to size. Isn't that awful? I just know he'll be crushed if he can't go on it so I'm hoping that between the growth spurt that he's in and some good tennis shoes he'll meet the mark.
So with the end of the school year I emptied out Carter's math homework file so he'd have a fresh start next year. I was so amazed to see how much he'd done that I took a picture. :-) It just had to be documented. I don't know exactly why I kept only the math papers and not the others but for some reason that's the mode I was in. Probably had something to do with the fact that I liked looking at what he could do math-wise when for me math was always a struggle. So anyway, here is the picture of the big stack of math homework.
Carter's booster essay. I had a few people ask me to post his essay. The county sent a copy of his essay along with a couple pictures of the ceremony. Below is his essay. It's pretty short and to the point but it won his a retro looking popcorn popper, $50 worth of toys, and a pizza gift certificate so woohoo! He wrote it a few days before turning 6 years old.
"My booster seat is cool because it has lights. They help me see when it is dark. I like that because it helps me read books. My booster seat keeps me safe because I need to be safe so that I won't get hurt. It also helps me because I need a place for my drink and on its bottom it has a cupholder. I sit in my booster every time I ride in my car and I take it with me to sit in when I ride in my friend's car too. It is cool. "

6 comments:
Awesome essay. Very impressive.
I'm so glad that you had a great time on Saturday and found good things.
Yes, the summer will probably be very long for Carter. Well, maybe only the first week. I think he'll get into the swing of it pretty soon, especially with going to Cali. I don't think that is wrong to try to get him that last little bit so he can go on the Indie ride. I'm sure he'll be safe and so happy.
I miss Carter too!! The end of the year is always so hard for me! I hate saying goodbye to my "kids". I see them everyday and then one day they just leave!
I'm sure we'll all get into summer when the weather warms up again!
Oh man, I hope he gets used to summer break soon! That's so funny, you expect kids to be excited about summertime. I'm sure he'll love your California trip though - when do you leave?
Gosh, I can't believe summer is here either! That's awesome that you guys mopped the floor together. . .I can't rremember the last time I mopped. You have such a good helper!
I do have those clothes for you, and I am a dork for not calling to let you know I couldn't bring them over Memorial weekend. I am going to see if my brother or sister can bring them in the next few weeks since they will be making trips up to Utah and I won't. If I can just get them to my mom's house, you have a much better chance of getting them than if they stay here and wait for us to bring them. I want to get them to you before you are due, because we don't have another trip planned to come in until November or December.
Either way, I will let you know what is going on with that. This last week I have been such a procrastinator. . .
If you guys are driving down to Disneyland and need a place to crash midway through, our home is always open. We have plenty of room, just let me know.
Oh Carter, could you be any cuter! He is darling in the Indy hat. I hope you guys have a great time at Disneyland. Annabelle is seriously depressed she didn't get to play with him yesterday, so we need to get them together this week!
I love the pictures. It is wonderful that Carter is such a good helper. He does look adorable in both. Love ya tons !!!
Post a Comment