Thursday, May 29, 2008

Kindergarten Graduation




I've started crying already. It's pathetic but true. I'm a mess this morning because it's Carter's graduation day. I can't believe my little boy will have to be a big first grader after the summer. This day always seemed so far away. I'm not prepared to have him gone all day every day. I'm telling myself to breathe and that I'll have the whole summer with him before that happens but every time I think about it I get a huge lump in my throat. I woke Carter up today and got him dressed for graduation. He wanted to wear his suit and tie and said he was nervous about today. He wouldn't even eat anything no matter what I offered. I even offered fruit by the foot and he still wouldn't eat. Poor kid. When I dropped him off I took his picture by The Ranches Academy sign. I decided at the beginning of the year that that would be our photo backdrop for first days and last days of school because it'll be neat to see how much he grows each year. I totally started to cry as I was taking the picture and as Carter told me goodbye and walked into kindergarten for the last time. It breaks my heart. He's had such a great year. I am amazed at all he has learned. He is SO blessed to be at this school and to have had such an incredible teacher. I'll write more about today afterwards and I'll post pics.

UPDATE: The graduation ceremony was so nice. I teared up as the kids came walking in but I totally held it together. It was adorable and there was a very nice slide show and great singing. Carter looked so big up there. I just can't believe he's going to be in 1st grade now. I teared up again as he hugged his teachers goodbye but amazingly I didn't totally start balling. Mostly because I knew it would upset Carter. I'm just so proud of him and how at such a young age he is already thinking about other peoples' feelings and is so tender hearted. I love that about him. We took him to his favorite restaurant afterwards to celebrate (IHOP). He got sad because he says he's going to miss his teacher so much but we reminded him that he can stop by to say hello when he sees her at the school. I posted his beginning of the year K picture and then a picture from today. So cute to see how much he has grown. We're having a relaxing afternoon at home now. Carter is doing a puppet show at the moment and asking me to come watch so I better go. :-)

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I saw you out there taking his picture this morning and I was so glad not to have a kindergartner this year - and not next year either. Those things stress me out. Sigh.
You are entering the world of full-time school!! It's a good thing, really (esp with a new baby)! :)

kathy inman said...

Carter has grown so much and is so handsome. He looks terrific and we are so proud of him and his soft heart for others. I know that this time is really special for the two of you before all day school and the baby so take this time and ENJOY!!! Hugs xoxo...

Colleen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colleen said...

(Sorry about the botched comment above.)

He looks so much bigger than he did at the start of the year! Is it weird that your post makes me sad to think about Elijah starting kindergarten IN THREE YEARS? :)