Monday, July 14, 2008

Wild Ocean















Today Carter and I went to the museum at Thanksgiving Point. We hadn't been in awhile and I have been feeling guilty about that. The new IMAX there is called Wild Ocean. It was BEAUTIFUL! We absolutely loved the breathtaking land/seascape of South Africa and the footage of all the sea life. It's 3D and so it was adorable to see Carter trying to reach out to touch the dolphins that looks like they were only inches away. So cute. We've seen every IMAX that's been shown at the dino museum since we've moved here since I am a huge documentary nerd and members get a discount on the tickets. This one is by far the best one we've seen. The beauty of the sea life and the powerful music and the nature scenes are so relaxing and soothing. The documentary talks about the dangers of overfishing and that part is very sad but it's important information and attention needs to continue to be brought to this issue. Anyway, we definitely recommend going to see this one. Carter was totally awestruck and told me several times that he felt like he was flying. The movie camera takes you over waterfalls and seaside cliffs and it is exquisite to say the least. Afterwards Carter did the jr. paleontologist lab where he donned on safety goggles and used a drill to work on a fossil that he got to keep. He really enjoyed it and you can't really beat the $2 price tag on that fun experience. We also explored the museum again and thankfully I found benches not too far apart. It's pathetic but I find myself with limited energy and oxygen! I had to keep stopping to rest while Carter played and explored. Afterwards we went to Sears where I bought a pair of uniform pants with their child clothes guarantee that if they wear out Sears will replace them
. The pants are Dockers brand and say they are wrinkle resistant and stain resistant (we'll see). They say nothing about being knee rip resistant and even at 30 percent off they were a hefty $17.89 so I only bought 1 pair and figured we'll see how it goes. With Carter ripping the knees through 9 pairs last school year I'm really confused about what brand will work the bets for him. Also went to Walmart to pick up errands and the bank so I came home exhausted from the big day. Oh and storytime was this morning and it was very nice! It was Carter's friend Orion's birthday so we read a couple birthday stories and Orion brought cupcakes. It was a fun storytime!

Also, Matt and I just finished the series "When We Left Earth" which chronicles the history of NASA from beginning until present. It was a FANTASTIC documentary by the Discovery Channel. There were several parts to it of course. We just finished the last one yesterday. It was highly educational and very interesting. If you can catch repeats of it we definitely recommend it. Our family has always been really interested in space and last year we had the awesome opportunity of going to Houston where we toured the Houston Space Center. We got to see the original mission control room and tons of neat stuff like where the astronauts train etc. It was a great experience. When I was a child my parents took me to the Kennedy Space Center and it was fantastic! We plan on taking Carter there in a few years. He's equally obsessed with space and loved his Houston Space Center visit. Also, when we lived in Cali we took him to the aerospace museum in Balboa Park (San Diego area) and he loved that at well. m hoping to be able to send him to Space Camp when he is old enough if that is what he wants. Wasn't that the coolest 80's movie ever? Okay one of the coolest. There were too many cool 80's movies. Being an astronaut is one of the many jobs he wants for himself. :-) For awhile he was saying he wanted to be both an astronaut and a miner. So cute. Now I think it's a dolphin trainer and an astronaut and the maker of a new Indiana Jones movie. Oh so cute.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

We took Elijah to Wild Ocean and he was bored. I guess he's not old enough for those yet! I enjoyed it!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I had a little crush on Joaquin Phoenix from Space Camp when he was Leaf Phoenix. I had a giant crush on River Phoenix but figured since Leaf was my age I had a better chance. I do love hearing what kids want to be when they believe they can be anything and everything.

Amber Baker said...

That sounds fun. I'll have to take the older two and leave the terrible (but cute) two year old at home.