Tuesday, July 22, 2008

good intentions not so good results


I really try to have good intentions. Today Carter and I were supposed to go to the furniture store, then meet Matt at 12 for his lunch break and go to Liberty Park to feed the ducks. We got to the furniture store at 10 something and since I was haggling and trying to get the very best possible deal it ended up taking a while. Then once we had finally settled and were trying to do the paperwork it took 4ever. I mean forever. I said several times I need to go meet my husband for lunch how much longer is this going to take? I heard oh just a few more minutes several times. Since I don't wear a watch I didn't realize how fast the time was going by and by the time I finally got done (stupid store was training a new person at the checkout and that took forever too) the clock said 12:40. I hate downtown and had a hard time getting from the store to Matt's work. I finally got there and Matt had only 10 minutes for lunch. It ended up I went and got him food and he had to eat it while working. I was really angry and sad at myself. I should have just left the store and come back after his lunch and I did think about doing that but I thought it was only going to be "a few more minutes." So, then after ruining our plans for lunch I took Carter by myself to the park to feed the stupid ducks. I hate ducks by the way. Anyway, it started to rain but I had used the duck feeding as an incentive for good behavior in the furniture store so I had to keep my word. In the pouring rain we got out at Liberty Park and fed a bunch of stupid geese. I couldn't even get ducks to cooperate today so he had to feed geese instead. I just feel like nothing went right today. After the bread was gone we got back in the car and by this time the rain was absolutely coming down in torrents. I double backed trying to figure out how to get to the stupid freeway and then it was like a monsoon all of a sudden. There were several inches of rain on the freeway and we and everyone else had to slow to about 30 mph or less. Visibility was extremely poor and I was scared. I hate driving. I absolutely hate it. So being in this huge rainstorm on the freeway was pretty much torturous for me. We finally made it away from the storm and back home but I'm exhausted and feeling guilty instead of happy about buying furniture. So yeah that's my day. The set that I got was the one pictured above only they are dark brown with the same accent pillows as above and the accent chair is that color blue. Gets here Aug 15th. In the meantime I'm trying to sell our current stuff on ksl. Yes it's in pretty bad shape but maybe someone would love it for their basement. Ya never know. :-)

6 comments:

Kristen said...

How exciting to have new furniture! It looks nice. Where did you buy it?
Sorry your day didn't go as you planned.

partypatt said...

oh, Jen, the furniture is gorgeous! It will be beautiful in dark brown! I'm sorry your day was so frustrating though. I heard it rained terribly in Salt Lake. I'm glad you and Carter got home safely. It rains like that in NJ a lot so I'm used to it but I don't like it!

Yeah, where did you buy it that would let you dicker about the price?

Jen Morrison said...

I bought it at Ashley Furniture in SLC. Most furniture stores will take a bit off the price if you really push it. This set was on sale but with tables and not the chair and ottoman so I negotiated for a chair and ottoman and didn't get the tables (though I love them, I wanted the chair and ottoman more). The price was still higher than the sale price because of substituting the chair and ottoman but it still was okay enough that I felt I was getting a fair deal. They have a TON of sales right now.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I can't wait to see your new furniture. That is so exciting. I hate the wrapping up part of large purchases. It's always like that with them telling you it won't take long, but it always does. I think that we have overpaid on some stuff because I have been so sick of sitting there going over the price. I think it's a sales tactic.

Amber Baker said...

Oh pretty! You should have come to my office and hung out for a while. I hate driving in weather too, it makes me panic

Colleen said...

Pretty furniture! And I wish we'd get a little rain in our area!