Sunday, July 20, 2008

Do as I say not as I do?

Okay so I maybe shouldn't be sharing but just so you know how very human I am I'm going to share. I'm not the best example of reverence. I try somewhat but I think I've become restless in my old age. Today for I don't know how many times in a row we had a family crack up during sacrament. This time, during the rest hymn. I have a problem hearing the hymn "Love at Home." You see, when my brother and I were growing up, in what seems to me to be pretty much the ONLY time my brother put a toe out of line so to speak, he replaced the words Love at Home with the words No One Home. We had a fantastic home life but we absolutely loved "stirring the pot" and seeing my mom's reaction. With as straight a face as possible we'd sing the joyous words "In the cottage there is joy, when there's no one home....brighter beams the azure sky, oh there's one who smiles on high..when there's No one home. And the refrain "No one home! No one home! Making Life a bliss complete when there's no one home." And seriously it was done to torture our poor mom. Yes I feel guilty about it but if we hadn't had such a good childhood I'm sure we wouldn't have felt comfortable joking around so much. I liked that whenever we'd sing it I felt this connection with my brother and for a moment I didn't have to try so hard to be as good as him. We were in it together and it was funny to see our mom's reaction. We've often been accused of doing things just to ruffle mom's feathers and it's true that there's a element of excitement to see what her reaction will be. I'm definitely getting it all back though since Carter and Matt love to do the same type of things to me. They'll tease me till I want to scream but it's all in fun and I probably deserve it after what I've put my mom through. So getting back to the story, Love at Home was the rest hymn today. I opened the hymnbook and just started laughing. I couldn't help it. Carter asked me why and so I told him briefly what "Uncle Steven" and I used to do. He started laughing so Matt asked him why he was laughing and we told him. So then Matt started laughing. His face was even red because as you read the lyrics and mentally change the words it just gets worse and worse (more and more funny) as the hymn goes on. So we were the insanely irreverent family at the back again. I say again because I think it was last week that we were again lamenting on the absolutely putrid taste of the sacrament water. I mean, it's BAD! Every week I can barely stand it. I've even thought of donating a case of bottled water. I know the cup is tiny but seriously it's all I can do to drink it. Carter is as big a water snob as we are (we even take bottled water up to Matt's parents when we visit because we don't like the taste of the water there). So anyway, I think it was last week that while we should have been reverent we had a whispered discussion of explanations for why the water is so awful. Carter's theory? He says it tastes like blood because it's supposed to remind us of blood. He said it with his eyes all big and serious and I lost it. It just struck me that way because I never would have thought of that and because of the way he said it. So that was strike 2 against me. Strike 3? Do you dare read? Okay, here it goes. I can't stand marathon prayers. I mean it's nice when people are all sincere and stuff but I guess I've lost a lot of reverence and patience in my old years. I try for like the first 2 minutes but then I get restless. I open my eyes and look around and inevitably Carter's eyes and mine meet and we give a conspiratory smile to eachother. Bad example? yes of course. So the moral of the story is sit in front of us which isn't hard since we are habitually late! But sit in front so I won't feel like I'm setting a bad example for your family. It's bad enough that Carter's seeing it all.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Well, if we did sit in front of you, my kids would still be watching your example, because they won't stay seated and facing forward! :)
I love the "no one home" lyrics. Sometimes that feels like it just might be the only time of true peace and bliss in the home. Sad, sad.

Colleen said...

Ha ha! That's funny. We should sit by you guys. Maybe Elijah would be entertained by Carter instead of driving me to thoughts of ditching the rest of church every Sunday.

We used to sing "Watermelon" to any and all hymns. :)

Amber Baker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber Baker said...

Sometimes church stuff is funny, and you just have to laugh!

partypatt said...

Jen, what a funny story! Love at Home will forever make me laugh now. Hi to Carter! love, Pat

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I love it. Love at Home was our FHE song growing up. We would sing it so obnoxiously. My kids and I were going to sing it in Sacrament for a musical number, but I've decided against it now. Thanks a lot. Okay, that is partially true. We were, but I already decided against it and now I'm glad I did. I would have hated seeing your whole family laughing.:-(