Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pioneer Day!



To celebrate Pioneer Day we went up to Cascade Springs again. It's a fun place with a board walk and bridges over crystal clear water. There are a few little waterfalls and you can see brown trout in the water. We love the place. The ride was gorgeous! We went up through American Fork Canyon and I really enjoyed seeing all the aspens and wildflowers. We got to Cascade Springs and every butterfly for miles around must have been there to greet us. I saw them in so many different colors! It was really neat. I walked up to the big bridge but couldn't breathe (the baby is up really high) so I found a bench and was quite content to hear the sound of the waterfalls while the boys explored some more. Before we left Carter even took off his shoes and got his feet wet in the stream. It was a very peaceful, relaxing drive through beautiful scenery. We also stopped at a few places along the way so that Matt and Carter could walk up some trails. They were so excited to find a trail near Sundance (off of the main Timp trail) that leads to waterfalls that they are going to go do that together tomorrow. Matt already has the camelbaks and trail snacks ready for tomorrow. I of course am staying home to stay off of my feet. Matt and Carter are really excited to have another wilderness day. If I wasn't so out of breath and energy I'd be right there with them. It is gorgeous and the trail marker says it's only 2 miles to the waterfalls. Last year we hiked to Timp Cave and Ensign Peak and a few months ago did some trails at the Fremont Indian State Park. We just love being in the outdoors. Hopefully next year I'll be back to regular health and able to hike along the trails with the baby in one of those baby packs. You can tell from my picture with Carter that my stomach is so far out now! Good thing there are only 50 more days until my due date! I wonder if I'll really get to day 50? I really doubt it but we'll see. I have a feeling she'll be coming earlier than that though I'm taking it pretty easy so that she doesn't come too early. I was a bit nervous about having the picture taken but I regret that I didn't get pictures of me pregnant with Carter (well I think I might have 1 from afar or something) so I've tried to be better this time around and allow pictures so I'll know just how big I was. haha! Well, I'm measuring exactly on target so I guess I won't care too much about how big I feel. Besides, all the more reason to get wii fit. Well, I'm going to go lay down since I'm starting to have a headache. Hope you all had a great pioneer day too! Oh and as a prelude I told Carter the pioneer story of The Donner Party. He thought it was pretty sick. I made it sound pretty spooky. You should have seen how big his eyes got as the story progressed. I told him some nice pioneer stories too so don't worry. :-)

1 comment:

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

That is a totally sick and awesome story, I mean the Donners, not your day. It's one of my favorite pioneer stories. Your day also sounds nice. Don't worry, your pregnancy will be over before you know it and you will be able to walk and everything by next summer.