We stopped at this massacre site on the long car ride home from our California trip. Not Utah's finest moment in history. While I don't excuse what happened I can somewhat understand what led to this terrible event. The people must have been awfully tired of being persecuted and driven from place to place so I imagine feeling threatened with someone/s allegedly poisoning water wells on their way through...well, you know maybe that happening or the rumor of it happening is what caused some mental snappage. It is a beautiful place, well maintained and kind of a green oasis in the middle of a not so beautiful landscape. There is definitely a feeling there that is hard to describe. I'm glad we stopped to see it.
Monday, July 6, 2009
Mountain Meadows Massacre
We stopped at this massacre site on the long car ride home from our California trip. Not Utah's finest moment in history. While I don't excuse what happened I can somewhat understand what led to this terrible event. The people must have been awfully tired of being persecuted and driven from place to place so I imagine feeling threatened with someone/s allegedly poisoning water wells on their way through...well, you know maybe that happening or the rumor of it happening is what caused some mental snappage. It is a beautiful place, well maintained and kind of a green oasis in the middle of a not so beautiful landscape. There is definitely a feeling there that is hard to describe. I'm glad we stopped to see it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You know how in the scriptures they talk about "wars and rumors of wars" Sometimes it seems like the "rumors of wars" are the really dangerous ones. What a world!
Post a Comment