We had the great fortune of getting apricots, sugar plums, and zucchini from 2 people on freecycle who had too many. Receiving such fresh items acted as a catalyst for my inner homemaker. It's not a super strong part of my personality but every once in a while it beckons me to the kitchen. I found an online recipe for jam and peeled and pitted like a hundred sugar plums yesterday. I was quite proud that it turned out okay and that all the lids actually sealed as intended! Today I baked zucchini bread and I'm going to start on apricot cobbler. We've been eating the apricots but there's several left so I thought I'd experiment again. Which brings me to my first random thought. Why did the people who built our home put the floor vent right in front of the sink? My feet are positively frozen!
And in case you are wondering I'm having a delightful summer. I haven't overbooked, I'm spending quality time with both kids, and I'm a lot more loving and calm (well that's from my perspective I can't speak for others). Yes I've still had my moods and I tend to be really social and then hermit up in my house and not speak to anyone for a while but that's just a weird quirk about me I don't know why I do it other than maybe I just get over-sensitized and worn out. Katherine is sleeping better and is happier and it makes such a huge difference during the day. She's just happier and more playful and we are totally gaga over her. Hearing my kids laugh makes me want to cry with happiness and I'm just so thankful everyday that we are a family. I'm hoping I can read my blog from the summer and learn to be more calm during the school year. I've really gotten to know Carter more the last couple of months. It's sad to say but when school is in he's gone so much and then there are practices and activities and less time to spend together. I've realized this summer just how well he adapted last year going to all day school and having big brother responsibilities, etc. He's so funny right now, I just love his sense of humor. Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I think I get on here and type away my worries and frustrations and so I want to also document these fun, calm days as well. Oh and it's too hot to eat a hot dinner so here is what we are having tonight...parfait.
Oh and will someone bring an axe over and help me chop down the honey locust tree? It's starting to show fall colors and I just don't even want to think about that yet!

5 comments:
I think we all have an inner introvert and an inner extrovert. When one of them gets too much action the other starts to complain... so when you spend a lot of time being social, that inner introvert puts up a fuss and forces the pendulum to swing towards hermit. After a time that inner extrovert starts to make some noise and search out company again. At least, I think that's how I am and I don't think I'm alone. Anyway, I'm so glad your summer is so wonderful. And I never in 1,000,000 years would have thought to look for apricots on freecycle, but I am so stealing that idea! Love it!
Loved the blog! I want your recipe for the parfait!
Pat it's just vanilla yogurt layered with apricots, blueberries, and strawberries topped with grapenuts. :-)
Everything look great. Good job. I have the same problem with the vent. In the summer my feet are frozen, but I'm grateful for it in the winter.
Ahh, summer. I love it too. Even though mine has been super crazy. Your zuccini bread was yummy and the parfaits look amazing. I think your great, I honestly never notice the moods. The kids are so cute, I'm glad you've had a chance to chill this summer. I'm OK with fall, just not winter.
Post a Comment