The doldrums, if my memory of history is correct, is the word used when describing an area of ocean in which a boat is forced to simply float having no wind to carry it in either direction. Being stuck in the doldrums caused many a' sailor much grief. I imagine sailors in this predicament sitting on deck worrying about provisions and complaining about each tiny thing that happened in the course of the day. After all, being stuck somewhere all day can make the tiny annoyances seem huge right? So today I am in the doldrums and have many complaints that are completely petty. Yes I admit that. It all started with waking up the baby this morning. She had gone to sleep late (probably was overstimulated by an adoring older brother). She hadn't woken up by 7:45 and I had to get Carter to school so I woke her up. There wasn't time to feed her until I got back and by then her mood was set for the day. The poor baby has been upset and fussy all day. She has wanted food constantly. We knew already that she has reflux and I figured that that may be bothering her. I called to doctor to ask if the amount of food and how often she was eating was okay. They said it was very out of the norm for her age and weight and told me that they think she probably wants to eat so that the burning sensation doesn't bother her. While she is feeding she doesn't experience the reflux but of course afterwards she does and she is downright miserable today. So they told me to give her 1/4 tsp of maalox 3 times a day to see if that helps. If it does the doctor would like to put her on a prescription of prevacid. poor baby.
I didn't bother to get dressed today. Seriously what was the point? Besides I had pretty much nothing to wear anyway. The minute the baby calms down I run up and switch over a load of laundry. I've been doing that all day. And in the 5 minute intervals that she is actually asleep I've been calling stores looking for a stinking wooden toy soldier with white pants, red shirt, and black hat. I'm sure by the time I find the stupid toy I'm going to want to throw it against a wall or borrow a wood chipper. Who knew it would be so hard to find a classic toy? My mil found a nutcracker that is scottish but if we remove the kilt (obscene I know) she says she thinks it'll look like a soldier. I'm hoping. I did find at kohls online a mouse king nutcracker so matt is stopping on his way home to buy that. I figure if the toy soldier doesn't live up to his expectations at least getting a soldier and a mouse king should make up for it. Right? Right? Plllease tell me I'm right? So this evening I heard sirens and thinking it was my neighbors behind us (uh hum...again) I stopped peeling my pomegranite and quickly parted the drapes to make sure we weren't in the line of fire or anything. We weren't...whew! Then I discovered that I had gotten pom juice all over my drapes creating yet another load of laundry in the endless abyss of laundryness.
I could tell you more about me being in the doldrums today but what is the point really? It's just a list of stupid stuff that has bothered me that in the grand scheme of things means absolutely nothing. I'm sure we all experience those days of motherhood where you just worry all day about your baby and during all the worrying still attempt to do the mundane, monotonous chores we all have and feel like no matter how much laundry or cleaning there is still an endless list of more to do. But just in case anyone thought I'm pollyanna-ish all the time (haha like anyone would) today I am just in the doldrums. I bet the winds will shift and we'll be on our way soon, maybe even tomorrow. I sure hope so anyway.
Monday, December 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
At least pomegranate juice washes out. It's so dark it always makes me think it will be a permanent stain, and yet every time it works out. Sorry for a rough day. I hate that classic toys are so hard to come by. I searched and searched for a jack in the box... finally found one, and it cost a LOT more than I thought it was worth, but K has her heart set on giving it to her brother for Christmas, so oh well. Good luck. Here's hoping tomorrow's a better day.
So sorry. I hope that the medicine helps Katherine. I really hope you find a soldier soon. That is so frustrating. I hope today is a better day.
hope your doldrums pass soon. All that wind last night surely helped, right?!? :)
Post a Comment