

I'll start with present. I can't believe Christmas is less than a week away. I've been a bit out of it this year. Didn't get the garland up on the porch or the arches, the village out, or the actual lights on the house. We have however done several of the things that make Christmas Christmas for our family. The problem is that I've been grinchy the last week at least. I've been doing some soul searching trying to figure out why I feel grouchy and snappy and here's what I came up with. I miss my family. We are a small and close family and it really is awful for me to be away from my extended family especially during the holidays. The second runner up reason is that I am in pain. These storms have really flared up my arthritis in my back and hips. It hurts! The night before last my hip was in so much pain and I knew something was not right. I laid down on the floor and despite the pain extended my leg and pushed my foot against the wall. When I felt/heard my hip pop back into alignment the pain was not as bad but definitely still there. I am determined to change my attitude and be nicer this week so I can really have a good Christmas. For those of you who've had to deal with me lately I am sorry for being whiny and grouchy. I'm trying to turn it around.
This Christmas we have much to thank the Lord for. We've had great spiritual experiences and a whirlwind of a year. Last Christmas I remember how happy I was that we were all together with my family in Cali. The only cloud in my sky was that I wasn't pregnant and desperately wanted to be. The funny thing was Christmas day I'm sure I was pregnant but Katherine was just a cute little ball of cells at the time and so I had no idea my Christmas wish had already come true.
Christmas memories. Christmas was always totally magical when I was growing up. Even in the teen years my mom would teasingly talk about Santa and it made it so funny and fun. One year she really did put coal in our stockings and we joked about it for so long. Of course she gave us other stuff in our stocking too but it was so funny. My parents have always had Christmas Eve end with hot chocolate and reading from the bible the story of the birth of Christ. It's always been a cozy, warm, wonderful memory. We always get/got the new pajamas and that is/was a fun tradition too. The funniest year was the year Beavis (my brother) got the pajamas that were an old fashioned night dress. Oh my heck I can still picture the red and white night dress. It was like in The Christmas Story when the mom made Ralphie wear the bunny pajamas. SO FUNNY! My parents have always had Christ in our Christmas. One of my earliest Christmas memories was going to the toy store to pick out presents for a family who couldn't afford presents for their kids. They've always had a great spirit of giving especially at Christmastime. My parents have always tried to make it a magical time for everyone.
Fast forward to the year that I saw Santa. Yes I SAW him. I remember being scared from yet another nightmare (I've always and still am plagued by them). I ran to my parents room which meant I had to run down the hall overlooking the living room. There to my surprise sat Santa putting the finishing touches on my Barbie dream house (see pic above). When I got to my parent's room they were both in bed so I knew without a doubt Santa was real. This conviction lasted many years and even after I started doubting I couldn't figure out how it all had happened. I only figured it out the year my grandparents had to move into a home and in cleaning out their garage attic found the original box to my dreamhouse. Grandpa and Grandma always stayed over on Christmas Eve so I realized it was Grandpa in the santa suit. I've wondered how I didn't put that together. I really was a smart kid after all. I think that the desire to believe in Santa, in the magic of it all, overode all logic.
My other favorite Christmas memory. My mom left me at my dad's gas station while she had some things to do. I was probably pestering the mechanics as usual or something. In any event my dad asked me to wait in his office for just a second. I went in and it was like something in a dream. ALL my Christmas presents were there! My talking Cricket doll, her chair, my tackle box, my jewelry box (all of which I still have). I was completely delighted! Then mom walked in and I heard her panic stricken voice. "You let Jenny in there?!What were you thinking she just saw all her Christmas!" Of course I didn't want my dad in trouble so I lied and said I hadn't seen anything. haha! Christmas morning came and I was JUST as excited as is evident by the picture above. You seriously cannot fake that look on my face. I've always wanted to know exactly what I am getting and for some strange reason it makes it more exciting for me. My mom sent a package this year and I already opened the tin that wasn't taped. I saw a Kohls gift card and was so excited! I'll be just as excited when I open it Christmas morning and just as excited when I go use it. I'm going to wait until he's safely somewhere else and then open and re-wrap everything else my mom sent me so he'll never know I peeked. I love knowing what I'm getting and was the biggest snoop ever as a kid. I know it drove my mom nuts but that just added to the excitement. It was like a challenge to find everything. So if your kids have found everything this year don't worry. I bet they'll be just as excited as I was. Pictures don't lie. :-)

5 comments:
Ahh-thanks, you are so cute! I love the little girl you!
I love the Santa story.
I'm so sorry you are hurting. Is there medication that can help?
I'm sorry you are without your family.
yep back too my 800 mg ibuprofen 3x a day. I'm trying to avoid going back on the heavy duty stuff since I think it is just a flare up do to weather so spring should be better. The prob with the heavy duty stuff is that going off of it can create a flare up so it took so many tries before I could finally go off of it so I don't want to start that again.
I've been in a lot of pain this week in spite of the meds so I guess now I know why..thanks for answering that for me!
I loved your Christmas memories. What a little snoop you were...so cute. The one year I found my presents ruined it for me. I guess we are different in that way.
Merry Christmas, Jen, Matt, Carter and Katherine!
Love the photos, so cute!
Post a Comment