Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day!

Happy Election Day! I tried to go vote this morning but it was during morning drop off at the school and I was so frustrated trying to get across the road that I gave up and came home. It would have been way too crowded anyway. Matt left at 6:45 to go get in line and it took him about an hour. He had mediation in Spanish Fork this morning which is why he was still home at that time. Anyway, Matt was completely obsessed with making sure I get a chance to vote. Yes it made me crazy. Yes I yelled. I had procrastinated and each time I went to find the voter guide it wasn't where he said it was or I couldn't find it and then got busy taking care of other things. Because of all that I felt totally unprepared and didn't want to be a moron walking in without any knowledge of the candidates and issues.

After coming home and freaking out Matt found the voter guide for me online and I was able to read it and then use a website that compares all the candidates views to make my decisions. Yes I really was undecided until this morning. Shocking considering how political you probably think I am. I'm passionate about issues but rarely find a candidate who I can fully support. So I made my choice this morning and voted. I ended up choosing a third party candidate who shall remain nameless. Take that all you people who thought I was a die hard Obama supporter.
Carter had been really stressed out on the way to school that I hadn't voted. He came up with his "solution" which was for me to tell him who to vote for and he'd vote for me since there was voting at his school. How adorable is that? He's always trying to fix every problem that comes along and he didn't like that I was yelling at Matt. I'm so not a morning person and Matt woke up so happy and chipper that I couldn't stand it, especially since I'd been up a couple times in the night with the baby.

Carter's teacher mentioned during parent/teacher conference that he has a tendency to daydream and I have noticed even at home that he is often off in his thoughts somewhere. We pushed up him bedtime but I was still worried that the stressful morning would make him fixate on that instead of his work at school so I went over during recess and pulled him aside to tell him that I had voted and that I had told dad that I was sorry and that everything was okay. When I went to vote I had been able to walk right up to the table. I felt pretty sorry for all the A-K people who were lined up around the gym. Poor guys! I bet if you were a K you'd be so ticked off that you were so close to being able to go to the other line but not close enough. It was a difference of probably an hour! What a bummer! So glad I am a M. We got out of there in under 5 minutes since I had already made my choices and didn't have to wait in line. :-)


I'm enjoying watching cable news footage of this black panther guy who was standing next to his friend who was holding a nightstick at a polling place in Philly. The nightstick guy got taken away and the reporter just asked the other panther about it and he said "I don't know what you are talking about" despite the film footage showing the opposite. Too funny. I love the people who get all upset and are like "you have no right to be here filming us." Uh, yeah right. So yeah I'm going to enjoy all the drama today. Lets just hope there is a clear winner so the drama doesn't last too long.



So enjoy today! We'll be staying up late and watching how everything turns out! Will you?

6 comments:

Colleen said...

I'm always up late anyway, so I'll definitely be tuning in. :)

Way to vote!

bonitinha said...

Yep, I'm up watching! And don't ever doubt that there's vote tampering in Philly... I've got firsthand experience of it. I knew you weren't diehard for Obama, but now I'm desperate to know who finally won your vote!!!

Unknown said...

I think is great that we have the first African American President.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I did watch until the end of Obama's speech. It was a great speech, very moving. I was also really moved by the fact that we have our first African-American president. I was watching the faces of the people like Oprah and Jesse Jackson and thinking about what life was like for them when they were younger. Could they have even imagined something like this? Truly historic.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I also voted third party.

Travis and Mindy Tilley said...

yeah I need to talk to someone about it. I only have Matt's office phone and cell phone. I'll probably talk to my doc about it soon, but I feel silly thinking I might need help controlling my emotions. Oh well, you do what works, right? My phone is 702-742-2228. I can't check my blog too often cause we don't have internet anymore. Blah.