Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Shopping Trip

So last night I went to Walgreens before heading over to the church for library duty. We had received a walgreens gift card for transferring a prescription and I was very eager to spend it (love having free money to spend). Anyway, here's a transcript of my conversation with the clerk.

Me: Do you know when your Hanukkah stuff is going to come out?

Her: After Christmas.

Me: Hanukkah is before Christmas though...

Her: Oh, Sorry. What's Hanukkah?

Me: Um, well it's a miracle really. A long time ago the Jews were able to reclaim their temple that had been taken over by the Greeks. The Greeks had invaded and put idols of their gods in the temple and tried to force the Jews to worship Greek gods. Jews who did not obey were killed or run off. The Jews gathered strength and were able to get the temple back. When they did, they saw that there was only enough oil for their holy lamp that is always kept burning in the temple for 1 night. Miraculously the oil lasted 8 days and nights until the new oil could be brought.

Her: Was this a temple like the one in Salt Lake?

Me: Well there are some similarities but this was a jewish temple

Her: When was this? Where was the temple?

Me: A very long time ago in the Holy Land.

Her: I've seen a candle thing on tv. What is that for?

Me: That's a menorah. There are 8 candles. Each candle represents a night that the oil kept burning.

Her: Oh that's awesome! Do Jews celebrate Christmas too?

Me: Not usually. Thanks, Happy Holidays!

Her: Merry Christmas!

I have to say she was an absolute sweetheart. A very pleasant conversation. But the conversation did make me wish that we could teach religion in school. I would prefer that my kids get to learn about all religions and religious holidays instead of having no knowledge of other beliefs. I think it'll help them get the global view that they will so desperately need when they are grown ups. I just think in order to respect and appreciate other religious beliefs and cultures that you really should know about them. My thought is that miracles happen to people in all religions and I'm all for celebrating miracles. I'm glad this cute teenager thought to ask what Hanukkah is instead of just being embarrassed.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally AGREE with you. Why can't we teach about religions in school? I don't get it at all. But then I didn't grew up in this country. History of religions is fascinating and will make us understand History of the World. I love living in LA because you meet people of all races and religions. But still our kids are not thaught what it means to eat Kosher or what is Rammadan or who was Jesus Christ. In 2nd grade Cheyenne was trying to explain to a Jewish friend who Jesus was. I thaught it was sooo sad that that litlle boy never even heard of Jesus. Yet yesterday a girl in her class didn't eat any of their celebration food for Thankgiving because she wasn't sure it was Kosher. Cheyenne had no idea want Kosher was. Knowing this kind of stuff is just as important as knowing when World War 2 started.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Right on, you are both totally right. I wish I knew more myself. This is a good reminder that I need to inform my children more. Good job, Teacher Jen.

partypatt said...

When my daughter came to BYU she went to the Provo Wal-mart and tried to buy a Menorah to put up in her window in Heritage Halls. Nobody in Wal-mart knew what a menorah was!! Christie thought that was totally ridiculous. Anyway, it's a good idea for everybody to know at least a little about other people's religions. I agree that it should be taught in school.

Colleen said...

Too funny! I really think that this is a bigger problem in Utah than elsewhere, though. No offense to the Utahns in the house. :)