Sunday, April 27, 2008

Big Rock Candy Mountain and Trip Thoughts


This is Big Rock Candy Resort. Lets just say it is definitely off the beaten trail. We were SO happy to find it! We were about to give up when Matt stumbled upon the turn-off and about 6 miles or so up the curving road we suddenly saw this yellow mountain! They say it looks like caramel. I'm not sure about that but I literally screamed when I saw it! It was so unexpected from the dark rocky mountains around it. Matt had screamed too and I thought he was as in awe of the mountain as I was but I couldn't figure out why exactly he had slammed on the brakes! That's when I looked at the road instead of the mountain and saw a herd of deer hopping across the road! Good thing Matt was looking at the road instead of the mountain! All the deer passed uninjured and Carter was ecstatic to see them of course! The pictures (just like the Fremont ones) don't do the place justice. It is seriously neat to look at. I especially loved this little tree growing out of the yellow sand. There are no signs directing you to the resort and no brochures around either but seriously it is worth figuring out how to get there. We ate at this little cafe at the base of the mountain and really enjoyed the view of the big rock candy mtn. Such a fun vacation!

Saturday we got in about 4 hours of swimming. It was absolutely delightful! The car ride was easy and terrific and we spent pretty much the whole time talking. We didn't turn on the radio once. Luckily for us we all enjoy eachothers company and it was a lovely trip. Matt and I especially loved all the scenery and loved pointing out the many car carcasses along the road and in people's fields. It's amazing how many cars from decades ago and recent times fill up the landscape. We loved seeing all the wide open spaces, the charm of small towns and how in some of them it is like time stopped (yes I saw my first 5 and dime store! It still had the 5, 10 sign out front!!!), and the relaxing feeling of seeing all the old barns and animals. We ate at great small town restaurants. The one is Richfield had like 3 names but I guess the most common one was Frontier restaurant. I walked in and seriously thought I had walked into Nellie's restaurant out of Little House on the Prairie! It looked so much like it and the style of food was exactly the same! It was delicious and reasonable and we even splurged for homemade cherry pie for dessert! Yummy! This was such a wonderful time away and as I felt my blood pressure rise as we got closer to home I begged Matt to turn the car around and go back. It was such a wonderful respite and made me so thankful for my many blessings and my wonderful little family. I've posted a blog about Cove Fort and a blog about the Indian Park below. I highly recommend visiting the places. It was a blast!

4 comments:

Amber Baker said...

So glad you loved it! That's my hometown/stomping grounds. It makes me a little homesick!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I don't think I would try to eat it, but it does look pretty cool.

Kristen said...

That's great that you had a fun weekend. Are you feeling any better now that you've gotten away for a bit? :)

Jen Morrison said...

I'm feeling so much better. I feel that a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I knew I had been overwhelmed but when I actually took the time to count out and say each thing that I have been asked to do in my various roles I was actually shocked that I hadn't broken down earlier. SO glad to have this respite and I'm feeling less and less guilty about it every day. In fact when I got a couple vt complaints today I completely let it slide right off my back and told the person I washed my hands of it. I refuse to let people be problems to me anymore. I've got too much going on family/health wise to let peoples' choices affect me negatively anymore. This vacation helped me tremendously! I'm feeling so much more positive and am letting the other stuff go.