Saturday, June 13, 2009

A Nice Saturday




I usually love Saturdays and today just reinforced why I love them so much. We started out the day with Carter's 8am game (well the baby and I slept through it actually). When Carter and Matt returned we went to some garage sales where we got a couple good deals. 1) a brand new in the box new front door handle/lock/deadbolt which we needed since the lock in our doorknob just spins making it very difficult to unlock especially when I'm holding the baby. 2) a box of like 6 brand new ink cartridges which are compatible with Matt's work printer for $1 total! Score! We came home and Matt tried to install the door handle. He worked diligently for 2 hours before we finally realized that we need someone who specializes in that sort of thing. It'll get done eventually so I'm not worried. In the afternoon Carter attended a party while we chilled at home and then when he got home we got to work making cookies for Matt's family get together tomorrow. I tried a new recipe from cooks.com for peanut butter choc chip cookies and I think it turned out great! It was fun to get out all the ingredients and get baking. Carter loved using the beater. I usually just do things by hand which is silly with my arthritis I know. But anyway, this involved beating butter until creamy and blah blah blah so I got it out and he had a lot of fun mixing. Meanwhile the sugar spoon fell on the floor and Katherine had a lovely time eating the sugar residue off of it. In the evening we had some really fun friends over and had a blast hanging out and eating cookies. Afterwards we sat on the porch listening to the awesome thunder and admiring the GORGEOUS rainbow. Doesn't a beautiful storm just put things in perspective and make you feel so miniscule? It's just such a powerful and beautiful thing. It was so relaxing to watch this wonder of nature play out from my porch. Chirping birds and all. Mmmm just thinking about it again makes me feel so calm and sleepy.

We are trying to not buy groceries before we leave on vacation so we are trying to be creative with meals. The cookies used the last of my butter, white sugar, brown sugar, and almost all of the flour so it should be an interesting week. We are supposed to bring a side dish to the party tomorrow too but would you think I'm awful if I just make that box of hamburger helper
we do not want to eat that's been sitting in our cupboard? I know it's not a side dish but I don't feel like a grocery trip for ingredients! Anyone have ideas for a side dish that I may have on hand?

4 comments:

bonitinha said...

What a great Saturday! I want that cookie recipe... mmmm, it sounds delish! I usually make cookies by hand too... I think the texture is better that way. But yeah, WAY more work!! Sometimes the mixer is the way to go. Good luck with the side dish. Call me if you need to borrow an ingredient! And that rainbow pic is gorgeous! I love that you an see rainbows so often here.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Frozen or canned veggies are always a good side. Remember the grocery stores that are at your friends houses. We are open unless we're not here.

We had problems with our doorknob changes as well. We can get the handle on easily, but the deadbolt hole is too small, so we have to cut it. Such a pain.

Awesome deals, good job.

Amber Baker said...

Sounds very relaxing. Hamburger Helper is just fine too. I have some chicken helper if you want!

Jen Morrison said...

yeah matt bought it a while back but blahhhh so we haven't eaten it. I ended up bringing some biscuits. It was a very rainy crazy party. Nothing like trying to sit the baby up on a picnic table and trying to feed her bits of cantaloupe and pasta salad amid chaos.