Yes I planned for her to wear a completely over the top outfit for her birthday! I wanted to see as much pink as possible. I remember when we found out that our baby was going to be a girl I was pretty intimidated. I don't think girly would be an adjective used to describe me since I'm a no frills (for the most part) kind of girl. I felt completely comfortable helping Carter find bugs and learning about dinosaurs. I worried that I would be not a great mom for a girl. Now she is 1 and I guess I didn't need to worry so much. I find myself buying bows and wanting lots of pink and already buying disney princess stuff. I'm sure she'll learn about dinosaurs and catch bugs too but I just think it's funny how much fun I'm having since I have the best of both worlds.
Today I got my first email that said "Your toddler" instead of "your baby." I'm signed up for like a billion different parenting themed emails but getting my first email indicating the transition was bittersweet. I can't wait for her to walk but part of me wants to keep her my little baby. Maybe it's knowing that she's my last but then again maybe it's just something every mom feels.
Katherine has had a nice birthday. We spent a couple of hours at the gardens with friends and she enjoyed the time there very much. She loves to crawl around and spends a lot of time cruising along the fountain wall. She's played with the present Carter gave her this morning and we picked up her Cinderella birthday cake that is adorable! It's an upright cake with the cake being Cinderella's dress. It's adorable and not too big and for the bargain price of $5.88 walmart can be assured I'll be back for these darling cakes again and again.
I write a birthday letter every year as my way of excusing the fact that I don't have a journal. I'll save the milestones and fun memories for that but I do want to acknowledge how incredibly blessed I feel to have this sweet baby in our family. She makes me laugh and I'm in awe of how something so little can have such strong opinions and emotions. She makes me grateful for so many things not the least of which are words. Katherine is truly a miracle for us. So many times I'd decrease my meds hoping that I could get off of them completely so that I could have another child. Time and time again my hopes were crushed as I'd flare up. After the miracle of healing I experienced we still had 14 months during which I worried constantly that I wouldn't be able to conceive or that my arthritis would flare up again making our precious window of time close. It is with so much gratitude and joy that I wish my Cricket a very happy first birthday. I am passing down to her my little number doll for age 1. My parents bought me these at each birthday and I've had them boxed up for years. I'm so thrilled that they'll be out once again and this time for my little princess.

3 comments:
I'll bet you were nervous that you could never love your second child as much as you loved your first child, and look how much you love Katherine! She is absolutely adorable. You and Matt make cute babies! Congrats on her first birthday.
I absolutely love her outfit. That doll is so sweet as well. I love that it was yours. She is a miracle baby.w
So sweet! Happy birthday to your little princess.
Post a Comment