Thursday, August 6, 2009

Swimming Lessons



Carter has enjoyed swimming lessons for the past couple of weeks. We checked into those lessons at a new, local pool and it ended up being like $4 a lesson (4 days per week for 2 weeks 30 min sessions for $35). I loved that it was so much closer than driving to Lehi and I loved that he could stay and play in the pool afterward. We usually stayed about 2 hours there each day (sometimes longer) and it was really fun to get in the pool with Katherine while Carter was having his lesson. I also loved having some time with Carter after his lesson to teach him how to have an underwater tea party and just be silly with my kids. Some of the time Katherine fell asleep and so I was able to swim some laps and read my book poolside. I'm really bummed that this was the last session before school. I'd love to be able to keep him swimming since he loves it so much. I need to look into a swim team or something. The teacher said that Lehi swim requires kids 10 and under to be able to swim 25 yards first. So the dilemma is, he needs to work on distance since he can swim but about each 1/4 of the pool stops to catch his breath but now we don't have access to the pool so he can't work on it. So....I'm trying to figure something out. He loves swimming and he's so proud of his new skills. I love to watch him glide through the water instead of the flailing and thrashing that he was doing before lessons. :-)

3 comments:

bonitinha said...

I say just work on other athletic activities in the "off season" to build up his strength and endurance. Before you know it he'll be able to swim farther, I bet. I want details of those lessons... what a deal! My girls desperately need swim lessons, but I haven't found anything that works yet. I'm so glad Carter had a great time!

Amber Baker said...

That is so awesome. Are they going to do any more sessions?

Jen Morrison said...

his teacher said she's done for the summer :-(