Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Starting School and My Solace






Carter started 2nd grade today! I can't believe my baby (he'll always be my baby) is a big 2nd grader! I was definitely sad to see him go and got all choked up this morning when he sat by his sister and told her how much he was going to miss her while he was at school and to not be sad because he'd be home in 6 hours, etc. It's been a wonderful summer and I'm so glad to have gotten to spend so much time with him. He's quite a wonderful kid if I do say so myself. And a great helper and jester for Katherine. I can't count how many times I've started to cry and stopped myself in the last 24 hours. Transition is difficult for me. Wow, that's a gross understatement.

After taking Carter to school I knew I couldn't come home to a quiet house so we went straight to the gardens. It's a secret that pass holders can go to the gardens earlier than the general public. It's absolute heaven on earth. I walked the paths and listened to the wonderful morning sounds of the garden. It's like all the little creatures are busy and you can hear them rustling in the shrubs, chirping, beating wings, the sound of the water, and it's just all so faith sustaining. I was able to see a cute little bunny, almost had a head on collision with a couple hummingbirds playing chase, stopped to admire tiny dew drops on several plants, and watched the rushing water in the streams. It's so great for my soul. I only saw 3 other people there in the entire time that I was there. There was so much solitude I had no problem quietly singing a couple of my favorite songs along the paths. Katherine loved the trip of course and I stayed until I felt full and ready to face the rest of my day. There is so much beauty. As I walked out I saw a couple coming in. The woman was blind and it hurt my heart that she wouldn't be able to see the colors and the beauty, but then I remembered just how sensory rich the gardens are and I was so thankful that they were coming early enough to hear the beauty, take in the rich smells of the garden, and touch the flowers as Katherine and I had. I can't help but rustle the bamboo as I walk by so I can hear it and feel it's dry stringy texture. The garden provides so many textures and so many ways to take in all the beauty of the earth. It just makes me want to cry happy tears.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

ah, that's what I should have done today! Instead, the little ones just seem to be bent on destruction. :(

bonitinha said...

How lovely that you had the Gardens practically to yourself... and on a 2 buck Tuesday, no less! I'm so glad you got to do something so wonderful for yourself today. Hope Carter had a fabulous day at school! I cannot wait for my kiddos to start!!!

partypatt said...

That was a beautiful description of the gardens, Jen. I'm glad you were able to find solace there.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I'm so glad you were able to do that. When I got to the school Christine told me you were heading to the gardens and I totally would have joined you there if I didn't have such a crazy busy day. Ian can do Horticulture there as well as here. What time are pass holders allowed to go?