When Carter hopped into the car on Thursday I thought he might have gotten beat up at school. He had bandages on both knees and was missing a tooth! I gasped "what happened?" He excitedly told me that his tooth had come out during math time. Luckily, the assistant allowed him to go to the teacher and get a bag for his tooth and he even came home with a certificate about losing his tooth. It was pretty adorable. He was very happy because he had been trying to get that tooth out for awhile. Now he has a huge gaping hole right in the front of his mouth just in time for school pictures! Sigh.... Oh well. It should be documented in our school years frame. Carter put his tooth under his pillow as soon as he got home and I swear I don't think I've seen him fall asleep so quickly in forever. Luckily for Carter the tooth fairy has been paying attention and remembered that how he had worked so hard writing a paragraph for school about Sacajewea and the Lewis and Clark expedition. It was a difficult assignment for a first grader and he worked really hard on it. The tooth fairy just happened to have a Sacajewea coin in her vault and put that under his pillow along with a regular dollar. I know, I know, the tooth fairy has not kept up with inflation. I think I used to get a dollar too. We know kids who get $5 and even $10 a tooth but Carter still thinks that a dollar is a lot of money. It is when you can go to the dollar store and buy anything you want in the whole store! :-) A few weeks ago when I was very pregnant and the baseboards were driving me crazy I gave him a dollar to scrub the tops with an old toothbrush. He was actually excited about it. Anyway, he was very excited about getting the sacajewea coin and took it to school to show his class. And forgive me for not spelling sacajewea correctly. I'm pretty sure I'm spelling it wrong but I'm not taking the time to look it up.
As for the knees? Yet another example of how he's inherited Matt's clumsy genes and my own. Not a good combination. He was playing Zelda with friends at recess time as usual and didn't see the school wall so he ran into it. That's right, he didn't see the wall! Oh my sweet child. I think it's hysterical that he and his friends are acting out video games at recess time. There are 2 princess Zelda's though so that's different. :-) I love his group of friends and am so happy that they get along so well and are such good kids and treat each other so nicely and stand up for each other.
In other Carter news I'm happy to report that the novelty of a new sister hasn't worn off yet. He's so doting. I'd been warned that it might not be a smooth transition since he's been an only child for 6 and a half years but actually so far he's been incredibly awesome about her. He brought books to read to her at the hospital and it was pure bliss to have both of them with me and hear him reading to her. He's kept it up and calls her his baby and always wants to hug her and hold her. I've had to curb it since he had some sniffles a few days ago and he acted like it was the end of the world that he couldn't hug her. When we pick him up from school he's ecstatic to see her and when I tell him she's awake he'll run from whatever part of the house he's in to be with her. Yesterday he insisted that she wanted to watch Veggie Tales with him. I relented and propped her up on the boppy pillow and he laid his head on one end of the boppy and they "watched" veggie tales. It was adorable. Maybe she could see the bright colors, who knows?! It's just a mother's dream to see them together and see how much he cares for her. I'm so happy that it's been so smooth and hope it continues. I think the fact that he'd cried, begged, and prayed to have a baby in his family for years has really helped him adjust. He frequently says as he's holding her "my prayer and my wish came true." Such a sweet sweet boy.

7 comments:
$10 a tooth? I'm thinking a quarter is going to be generous! What sweet stories!
Well, those are some kids in California so the tooth fairy knows things cost a lot more there, but here the tooth fairy pays $1. :-)Lower cost of living. :-)
Carter seems so sweet! I totally remember you- so glad you posted a comment! And oh our tooth fairy also pays a dollar! Look forward to keeping in touch- Darice.
Darling photo! I love those little gap-toothed pictures. :)
Yeah, I only paid a dollar for the tooth Michaela swallowed with her pizza. That was traumatic. Otherwise, we just scramble up some change and hope they don't notice that the tooth fairy is inconsistent. Sometimes it's a quarter, sometimes 50 cents, sometimes random nickles and dimes.
anyway - I love the stories about Carter and "his baby." so sweet
Emily - I suggest sticking with a quarter. We pay a dollar, but I wish we had started lower. There've been many times that I don't have cash equaling a dollar, but I could find a quarter.
I can't imagine Carter ever being a problem. That is super sweet that he loves and appreciates her so much.
I read in Parents magazine today that most people give $1 for a lost tooth. :) I thought of you!
Post a Comment