Absolutely crazy I know. It sounds ridiculous to say that I've been busy since after all I'm home all day but yet everyday when 8pm rolls around I wonder where the day went. My days have been consisting of feedings, diaper changes, washing bottles, boiling bottles, then repeat all. I'm also managed to squeeze in time to argue with billing offices for the anesthesia place and the hospital. My big accomplishment yesterday was solving a problem that had been created by a nightmare.
The story goes as follows: Saturday night Matt had an aquaintaince over to visit. He came in, sat down on my brand new couch, and talked our ears off for an hour. After he left we noticed several stains on the couch where he was sitting. We got out our "cleaning kit" from the furniture store and Matt started cleaning the stains....INK! Blue ink! What kind of (okay I'm going to use better language here since I don't want to offend anyone but at the time my language was unedited college days language) jerk carries around a pen in his back pocket??? Who does that? Not only that, who doesn't notice a TON of it leaking in their back pocket??? Come ON! So I freaked out. I completely freaked out and I totally admit it. I was a well of emotions because of a) hormones and b) the fact that I never get anything new. Those who have read past posts know that I am totally frugal and believe in garage sale shopping instead of retail and do my best to follow the mantra reuse, recycle, repurpose. I struggled and struggled about spending the money on these new couches. I felt guilty after getting them and finally happy and elated each time I walked downstairs and saw them instead of the foam coming out of our old hand me down couches. So, you can imagine how upset I was when after all our couches are a month old...barely. And to know that some stranger to me destroyed it in the space of an hour when we are so careful with them and not even my kids were to blame made me in a rage. Yes, a rage. And I know, I know, it's a material thing. It's just a thing and I shouldn't get so worked up over a thing. But seriously, I felt so angry and then so depressed that my first brand new real furniture purchase had been inked up by some moron!!! So anyway, we had bought the protection from the store but guess what? It doesn't cover ink. We tried all the cleaning methods suggested online until 1am that night and the stains did lighten but are still there. Yesterday I was able to contact the salesperson and she told me the fantastic news that I can just buy a new casing for the cushion! And it only costs $35! So that made me very much relieved. So yea!
The day in a life of a sahm is pretty good for me. I'm still in awe of Cricket, of how cute she is and of how fast she is growing. I started laughing the other day when I saw that she has finally gained enough weight to have baby creases on her arms and legs. So cute! Love it love it! She's tracking things now and seems so focused. Yesterday when Carter and Matt had left for soccer and she was awake and I had a ton of bottles to watch I put her in her swing and turned on Baby Einstein. I know, using the tv as a babysitter is not good but I really had to wash the bottles and I figure it could be worse, I could have turned on Jerry Springer or something. Anyway, after each bottle I'd peer around the doorway and see what she was up to. She was totally watching it! In fact I could see her eyes moving corresponding to the toy or pattern featured on the movie. So cute. I think it kinda made her tired though because as soon as I finished the bottles and put her in my arms she fell asleep. Carter's schedule has been too crazy for my taste. He goes to school, comes home to a lot of homework, then he has either piano or soccer practice, or a soccer game. Soccer ends next week and I have to say that I'm happy about that. I'm sad in that Carter loves it and will miss it but I really miss my family time. Matt's been out of the house a lot lately with a busy work schedule and then extra stuff like Monday a viewing, Tuesday home, Wednesday soccer practice, tonight soccer game and scout meeting. I know I shouldn't complain because I can think back to when he was in law school and working and I saw him a whole lot less then!
And now to a bigger view. I'm worried about how things our going in our country. That's an understatement. Did you all see the president's speech last night? I didn't see it live so I watched it online this morning. So troubling. I am hoping that the debate happens tomorrow night because I've been really looking forward to it. That's when elections actually get fun for me. I can understand the need to be in DC trying to fix things but I'm hoping the candidates can do both since I am still undecided and will be using the debates to help me make my decision. My biggest priorities are the economy, healthcare, and the war. My vote will be determined by which candidate can convince me that they can and will fix these problems. How about you? What are the issues that mean the most to you? I have to say that as much of an environmentalist as I am I sighed in disgust in the whole greenhouse gasses talk this morning. I mean, hello? An epic financial crisis, health care crisis, soldiers dying and we are talking about greenhouse gasses? Yes I want our environmental concerns addressed and fixed but I don't think that's the front and center issue of our time right now. Can they focus on that on their lunch break? Oh did anyone see Sen Barbara Boxer today? Good grief! My old senator from Cali is as annoying as ever! Her topic: Woe is me I had a "3 hour meeting yesterday" to try to help get the financial crisis solved. For CRYING OUT LOUD BARBARA I HAVE 3 HOUR MEETINGS FOR MY STINKING CHURCH CALLING! So cry me a river Barbara really. Okay I'm going to stop the political comments here before I pop a blood vessel.
I'm still on my big reduce the amount of stuff we have kick and so I've been freecycling and listing stuff on craigslist/ksl like crazy! The problem is that my for sale stuff is not selling. Such a bummer. It definitely slowed down this summer but now it's non-existant. I listed 10 items this week. Only 1 sold. Yikes! I posted them at lower prices than normal to take into account the troubling times but still nothing's moving. It's frustrating but I understand. It'll probably pick up around Christmas as people will be buying kids presents. I'm really happy that Christmas is done. Matt and I don't exchange and we've hit the garage sales hard this summer and scored some great stuff for Carter. $2 video games and he won't know or won't care that they are used. Also scored a microscope new in the box for $1, a star wars board game, some figures, an awesome set of science books, and animal treasury cards. There's probably some other stuff out there in the garage that I've forgotten that we got but we still spent little and got a lot so hooray for saving money and for not buying into the whole consumerism thing for the most part. I say most part because I did break down and get a wii fit and wii mario kart. Wii is my wiikness. Get it? Wiikness. HAHA that just came to me. Love it! Carter and I picked out some board games/puzzles that we've had in the game closet for him to take to school. It felt great to get rid of them and yet to know that he'll still get to enjoy them, just out of our house!
Do you love the California Poppies as much as I do? It all started in spring when Carter and I went to walmart to get seeds and starters for our garden. He started throwing packets into the cart! I was going crazy and was too overwhelmed to start sorting through them again. We got home and Carter said "look mom I made you buy your favorite flower!" My eyes watered. I guess all those times we drove down the roads in California and I pointed out the california poppies and said they were my favorite he was actually listening! And when he read the packet at the store he thought of me and threw them in the cart. So sweet! He and Matt planted them for me in the front of the house and they are in full bloom. I completely love them and I love going outside to see them. They are so bright and cheery and wonderful!
Yes the poppies are growing upside down. Just kidding. The picture is upside down but baby just woke up so I don't have time to fix it now. Oh well.

4 comments:
Ah, I've missed your posts. I do notice when my blogging friends go on hiatus. I need a life! Anyway, I hear you about the politics. I'm really not holding out much hope for either candidate. Politics are such a mess nowdays, it's like picking the lesser of 2 evils.
I don't blame you about the couch--I would have been ballistic! However, so happy that you had a simple solution. Katherine is SO cute. She is getting so big! Tons and tons of hair!
I'm tempted to vote for the guy I like the least because I think the next 4 years are going to be horrible for whoever gets elected. I don't think they'll be able to fix much of anything and they'll end up carrying a lot of the blame. I'm just holding out for Mitt Romney in 2012! I love California Poppies too. We had them back in Philly but the ones I planted here didn't come up. :(
My political concerns: how many houses the candidate owns, how many years of experience, how many times they have been married, and what church they belong to. Not really, I really wish that they could have been doing their jobs for the past year and maybe just now after the conventions get into the real campaigning. Why does it have to last so long and with so much media fluff thrown in to confuse the real issues? Drives me crazy.
I'm so glad the couch thing worked out. I would have been so mad.
Baby Einstein is making her smarter. There's nothing wrong with that. It's also something they find interesting. It's a great weapon to have in your mom arsenal.
I do love the poppies. They are great.
Ha ha! Loved the "wiikness" joke. That's my kind of humor. :) And I had a FOUR hour meeting yesterday.
Post a Comment