Monday, September 29, 2008

10pm joys of freecycle


So I know you are probably sick of hearing about my freecycle obsession. We got out the halloween decorations tonight and I filled a kitchen size garbage bag of decorations we really didn't need. I'm trying to reduce the amount of stuff so that there isn't halloween stuff every direction I look. Anyway, I got a ton of responses but the one that really got me was from a mom asking for the decorations because her daughters really wanted a Halloween themed party and there was no money for such things. I asked them to come this evening (since freecyclers lately have been flaking out and not showing up which leaves my porch looking like a dump during the day which I hate). I assumed that they were a no show since I had emailed earlier in the evening but at 10pm there was a knock at the door. I was down here in my nightgown washing bottles and the baby is wide awake so it wasn't a problem. I answered the door to 2 adorable girls probably ages 8 and 10 and their highly appreciative mom who apologized and said her husband who had the car had just gotten off of work. The girls were totally excited. I came back inside wishing I had put more things in the bag when I saw the bag of Halloween sand art kits that I had leftover from last year. I had planned to give them out to trick or treaters that we know but I knew instantly they would be better used by these cute kiddos. I ran out in my nightgown and gave them the kits and they were totally surprised and happy. I came back in and thought about how this happens everyday on freecycle. During this troubling time when Matt and I agree everything feels a bit unstable it's nice to know that we can all help eachother. Passing it on, paying it forward, however you look at it we can make someone's day even if it's just by giving away stuff in our house we don't use. I have to say it came around already for me today since my absolutely darling visiting teacher dropped off delicious cookies to us tonight. So see, it's this beautiful circle and I love that we can have these happy moments despite the troubling times. Totally reminds me of "the glad game."

2 comments:

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

I love Pollyanna and the glad game. Right on!

Colleen said...

I love freecycle too! Keep the posts coming!