Monday, December 19, 2011

Not a fan of Christmas trees but a huge fan of the festival

I've gotten a lot of funny responses over the years when I've mentioned how I am not a Christmas tree fan. My tree is begrudgingly put up and as soon as the kids are distracted by new toys I take it down and put it back to the garage. Yes that means it is always out the door no later than Christmas Day afternoon. I'm not a grinch I just don't like the tradition in my own house. Growing up we always had great Christmas tree traditions. Deciding whether to get a douglas fir or nobel or whatever the other brands are was a big deal as well as deciding to get it flocked or not. The ornaments were the perfect traditional mix of ancient salt dough crafts, primary projects, sentimental ones, and the every Christmas variety. We'd decorate to the sound of Johnny Manthis belting out the tunes. I have great memories of it but since being married I just haven't replicated the magic. I'd get frustrated with the lights, annoyed at the needles, irritated that husband and kids had found something more fun to do so I was doing it myself, etc. It seems rather needless especially since Christmas is about the birth of Christ and I don't see how having a tree in my house changes or adds to that. For those reasons and probably more over time I've given away most the Christmas decorations, all the outdoor crap, and left one storage bin of decorations full out in the garage this year. We have our nativity, some mistletoe, and because my mom said it would be child abuse to not have a tree, Carter and I compromised on a white skinny tree from hobby lobby and decorated it with neon green ribbon, ufos, and an alien for the topper.

Skipping back to last Christmas, I attended the festival of trees with Carter as he was performing there with his irish dance class. I was really struck by how I felt when I was there. This year I took Katherine on a weekday and then went back on the Saturday with Carter. I love the feeling I get when I'm walking down the aisles and I had to wonder how I can feel that way when I really don't like decorating and really dislike big Christmas trees especially overstuffed stuffy looking ones. I thought as we walked and talked and laughed and I realized it was because of the complete unselfishness the festival brings. I realized that what I am searching for in life and find there is the feeling of being surrounded by pure selflessness. The time and resources but more importantly than those things to me is the sequence of the thought, the premeditated desire to do good and then the action that follows that feeling. Seeing people not only think of others but go the next several steps really does my heart good. I'm very thankful for the festival of trees and the opportunity it presents for people to act and for people to view and be inspired to act. And that my friends is how someone who really doesn't like Christmas trees can love a whole expo center full of them.

No comments: