This morning, the boy who as a kindergartner caught me in the playground equipment room and tried to kiss me, added me as a friend on facebook. I got the request and burst out laughing. Facebook never ceases to amaze me. I mean, honesty you want to add me as your friend because you had a thing for me in kindergarten? We did attend all of elementary school together but we weren't like good buddies or anything. We'd occasionally run into each other out on the town as high school kids and I'll always remember how he looked so confused when he ran into me at a local hang out our senior year and got to experience the temper of my ex-boyfriend. He had slammed the door of my car so hard that it had created a big dent. Oh the drama! It's good to catch up but I often wonder if people enter your life for a reason and leave it for a reason then should we really seek each other out again? Don't get me wrong I've loved seeing how long lost friends' lives have turned out. Maybe that's the voyeur in me. I look at the pictures of people I knew long ago and love seeing how life has weaved so many variables into the lives of people who grew up in similar lifestyles and the same schools. Life goes in many different directions. I love seeing the parts of the world my friends are in or have been in. I look forward to my friend Ruthy's uploads of all the kitty chan (Hello Kitty) stuff she sees in Japan, my friend Sonal's wedding in India, and my friend Christine's photos from South Africa and all the other neat things I get to see pictures of places that I wouldn't normally be able to see. It's been weird to see pictures of the kids of the missionary who came back for me when I was in the single's branch but I had already moved here to marry Matt. I've felt relief, indignation, happiness, sadness, empathy, hope, giddiness, and more emotions just from what I've found or what has found me on facebook. Don't get me started about the old married friend whose instant messaging was getting downright uncomfortable to the point that I had to click on offline status permanently. Oh and I have to mention it's been shocking to see how a few guy friends who I thought were interested in girls have pictures posted of themselves with their boyfriends. In fact, one of the guys I even went out on a date with. Does that mean I made him gay? Just kidding. So if you are up for it share your funniest or most remarkable thing that has happened to you because of facebook. If you don't have an account yet, well, just think for awhile about whether or not you really want one.
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I agree, Jen! People keep friending me who I'm not sure about..I mean, I try to be discreet on Facebook but I'm not sure I want the whole world to know my thoughts...for instance, some of my preschool moms friend me and I'm just not that comfortable with that. I have to know somebody pretty well and be comfortable with them before wanting to be their Facebook Friend. I think Facebook is a fad that will soon be replaced by the next great thing anyway. By the way, I WANT to be your friend! Just in case you were wondering! LOL!
The best thing, I guess, or most unusual thing, I've had happen on FB is that I had a chance to apolgize (and accept apology) from a high school boyfriend with whom things ended very badly. I was grateful for the chance to get that off my chest and not have it hanging over my head anymore. I think it would be really great to make things right with the people through my life that have been hurt or offended by me, or me by them. It's just nice to feel an old wound resolved. I don't like feeling like there are people I would want to hide from should I run into them somewhere.
But there are several others that I am FB friends with that I still feel uncomfortable with. But I have really loved getting back in touch with high school friends, mission friends, etc.
But I don't have really anything to say, or interest past the initial catching up. It's definitely an interesting experiment. I have mixed feelings.
And I would love to see my "first crush" on FB (elementary school) but alas, he's not on there. Yet. It would just make me laugh and laugh (but I knew him all through high school,too - so the fact that I chased him around the playground wouldn't be our only connection) haha!
You know that fb causes me nightmares. I obviously have "issues" that I have ignored. I love, love, love connecting with family and friends whom I would otherwise not see. I don't know how I really feel about some others. I want to be grown-up about it and let anyone, who I know, who wants to be my friend, be my friend. I never accept an invitation from someone I don't know. There have been people who I have un-friended because the relationship was not lifting me up. For the most part I don't communicate very often with the supposed "hundreds" of friends I have. I'm going to say that for the majority of the time fb, for me, is a blessing, not a curse.
Ah, facebook. It is such an interesting thing. I have more contact with some people now that I did when I saw them every day in high school. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not so good. I've had my own facebook drama. I hate being "unfriended" why? I don't know. It bothers me. I also have one friend who posts some interesing "too much information" posts. I'm always like...really? I've also learned how to hide some comments and games, which is nice. I use facebook as a way of messaging people, because let's face it...I'm lazy. It really is nice too, because it keeps me in the loop of what's going on with my homies, some days, I just don;t have time to call them and fb helps with that. A boy I liked in HS is now my fb friend, along with his wife. Kristen, count yourself lucky. I would love an apology. It would seriously resolve some of my long-standing issues! As far as posting goes, one of my old institute singing group directors is one of my fb friends, and he is good friends with my in-laws. I've learned to stop and think...could Brother Willmore read this and not be disappointed in me? That helps me a lot. :)
Ah, facebook. It is such an interesting thing. I have more contact with some people now that I did when I saw them every day in high school. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not so good. I've had my own facebook drama. I hate being "unfriended" why? I don't know. It bothers me. I also have one friend who posts some interesing "too much information" posts. I'm always like...really? I've also learned how to hide some comments and games, which is nice. I use facebook as a way of messaging people, because let's face it...I'm lazy. It really is nice too, because it keeps me in the loop of what's going on with my homies, some days, I just don;t have time to call them and fb helps with that. A boy I liked in HS is now my fb friend, along with his wife. Kristen, count yourself lucky. I would love an apology. It would seriously resolve some of my long-standing issues! As far as posting goes, one of my old institute singing group directors is one of my fb friends, and he is good friends with my in-laws. I've learned to stop and think...could Brother Willmore read this and not be disappointed in me? That helps me a lot. :)
I love facebook, but I've been trying to disconnect a bit lately. I was starting to feel like I was spending way too much time doing absolutely nothing online.
Hmm, funny stuff... I'm friends with two ex-boyfriends on there. One just about knocked me off my chair when he added me (the missionary who broke my heart), but we've had zero contact. The other is my only HS boyfriend, a foreign exchange student who looked like Leonardo Dicaprio. He just surfaced recently and kept telling me how pretty I still am, yadda yadda. Just made me laugh.
I pretty much just hide everyone from high school. I just don't really care too much what they're up to day to day anymore!
Post a Comment