This weather is so wonderful and I'm just wishing I could be outside all day every day. Katherine and I go out to the backyard and I push her in her swing, check out the garden, and just breathe. Being out there is so relaxing. Without planning it this way we ended up buying a house that is just up the street from an elementary school and under a flight path. Both things just like my childhood home. When I'm out there with Katherine she laughs as I push her and gets this look on her face like she's really concentrating when she hears the excited voices of the school kids playing on the playground. We hear their happy voices, the sound of the school bell, the sounds of the airplanes, and I just get this relaxed, comfortable feeling like I've been hear for ages. It makes me think about when Carter was a baby and he'd point up to the airplanes and say "Hi Jay Jay!" He too, would get all excited when he heard the school kids on the playground (this was at my parents house since we spent Carter's first 4 years there). I love that despite the different setting, Carter and Katherine will have that similar experience. I love that without planning it I've created as close to home as I can get. Today the sky is so brilliant blue, the clouds are perfectly puffy, and the air even feels clean. I was looking at Katherine's view when she is in her swing and had to take a picture. Gorgeous mountains and beautiful sky. Our garden did okay this year. Not the best but not the worst. I love eating a warm tomato off the vine, a crisp apple from the tree, ruffled lettuce out of the garden. You can tell from the picture that the romaine is kaput. I understand why we are all supposed to have a garden. My soul just loves it. I love that I can step outside and feel weight off of my shoulders as I just take time out to enjoy the beauty of the creation. I think that is why I love going to the Thanksgiving Point Gardens so much. It's hard for me to understand why people suffer so, why there is so much pain in the world, and then I go to the gardens and feel that despite all of that, our God is a truly loving God.
Friday, September 18, 2009
What I Love
This weather is so wonderful and I'm just wishing I could be outside all day every day. Katherine and I go out to the backyard and I push her in her swing, check out the garden, and just breathe. Being out there is so relaxing. Without planning it this way we ended up buying a house that is just up the street from an elementary school and under a flight path. Both things just like my childhood home. When I'm out there with Katherine she laughs as I push her and gets this look on her face like she's really concentrating when she hears the excited voices of the school kids playing on the playground. We hear their happy voices, the sound of the school bell, the sounds of the airplanes, and I just get this relaxed, comfortable feeling like I've been hear for ages. It makes me think about when Carter was a baby and he'd point up to the airplanes and say "Hi Jay Jay!" He too, would get all excited when he heard the school kids on the playground (this was at my parents house since we spent Carter's first 4 years there). I love that despite the different setting, Carter and Katherine will have that similar experience. I love that without planning it I've created as close to home as I can get. Today the sky is so brilliant blue, the clouds are perfectly puffy, and the air even feels clean. I was looking at Katherine's view when she is in her swing and had to take a picture. Gorgeous mountains and beautiful sky. Our garden did okay this year. Not the best but not the worst. I love eating a warm tomato off the vine, a crisp apple from the tree, ruffled lettuce out of the garden. You can tell from the picture that the romaine is kaput. I understand why we are all supposed to have a garden. My soul just loves it. I love that I can step outside and feel weight off of my shoulders as I just take time out to enjoy the beauty of the creation. I think that is why I love going to the Thanksgiving Point Gardens so much. It's hard for me to understand why people suffer so, why there is so much pain in the world, and then I go to the gardens and feel that despite all of that, our God is a truly loving God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What I love is this beautiful post and that adorable pic of katherine in her swing... too cute! What a great tribute to your childhood home and the connections your kids have. I tried to think of similarities between our home and the one I grew up in, and I couldn't come up with a single one (except for the loving family living there, of course!) Thanks for sharing those beautiful thoughts!
Post a Comment