Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Food Processors and other stuff

I love red cabbage salad. Like really love it. It's so tangy and purple. I hadn't had it in a long time and was determined to make it. I got hooked on it as a child when my parents would take us to this steakhouse called Knowlwoods. It was a place where they served you peanuts before your meal was ready and you were supposed to throw the shells on the floor. What kid wouldn't love that? I went to Smith's for grocery shopping and went a bit nuts in the produce section since now that it's spring the prices seem lower. Of course Smith's doesn't sell shredded red cabbage like I'm used to so I stood there for a second staring at the red cabbage and wondering if I was really up for a lot of shredding. I decided I was and put it in the cart. I went to the dressing aisle to get the red wine vinegrette and guess what? They don't sell that either. I did find red wine vinegar with a recipe on the back for vinegrette so I threw it in the cart realizing this was going to be a bit more labor intensive than I had planned. Oh well, it's worth it. Besides, I'm a super positive thinker now so little things like that don't make me stumble. Rewind a bit for some exposition about the food processor. We got one for our wedding and I think I used it once. We got it out of storage when we moved back and I tried to use it but it didn't work so I gave up on it. I was about to freecycle it when Matt reminded me that it's finicky about the whole locked setting (for safety but come on!). I looked at the cabbage and figured it was worth a shot to try to food processor and lo and behold it worked! I'm so proud of myself for figuring out the main part has to be locked and the lid has a separate lock and the spinny thing has to be just right. I know you are laughing right now at how stupid I sound but yeah I don't like gadgety stuff because I lack the patience to figure it out. I'm so impatient I'll go a longer way just to avoid stop and go traffic. I know, lame. So back to the story. I had a ton of fun shredding the cabbage. It went so quickly and it was destructively fun. I had to resist shredding the whole thing because I knew I didn't have enough dressing to soak it all. Yeah, that's me getting home to only 1 cup of olive oil left when I had just gone to the store! Anyway, I didn't care for the vingerette as much but it was still fairly good. It was too much oil. It said 1/3 cup vinegar, 1 cup oil but when I make it again I'll switch those. I love vinegar! So now that I figured out the processor Matt brought up how much easier making latkes will be! I can tell you this much, we'll be having them a lot more often! We LOVE latkes but who loves getting out the grater and grating 10 potatoes?! I can't remember a single time I made them that I didn't shred the skin off a finger. Ah, just a little protein to the latke right? At least we'll have fun memories of being in the kitchen, each with a grater, but they can be just that! Memories! Now we'll throw the potatoes in the processor and laugh about how fast a potato can be decimated. Of course on Hanukkah we'll have to go back to the old fashioned way since it has meaning (to remember how the poor Israelites were in bondage and slaving away). Not that grating potatoes is anywhere near what they endured but anyway, that's the meaning.

Other stuff section: this weekend was so relaxing and awesome I wasn't ready for it to end. Second, I won a tutu and hairbow in the This and That Creations raffle so I'm way excited about that. Third, I entered Katherine in the babytalk baby contest but we won't know anything till June. Fourth, this morning I was a bit more nuts than usual and windexed the inside and outside of our front windows at 7:45 this morning. Yes I know it's going to snow again so I don't know why I did it other than the fact that the marks on it were bothering me. Did we have dirt rain or something? Sixth, I called the city about the ton of tumbleweeds. Since they are on "private property" the lot next to us the city won't come get them they want the developer of the lot to. The guy said to call the developer or the enforcer. I've dealt with both of them before and I know nothing will happen so I asked the guy for help. He said he could only remove them if they were on public space. I told him I could guarantee that the wind was coming and that they'd be on public space very soon. I didn't add "with a bit of help from us."

6 comments:

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Congrats on your food processor. That's very exciting.

Yes, we did have dirt rain. It was very irritating.

Jen Morrison said...

I know, so pathetic that a food processor is blog worthy. Oh my life (or lack of one!)

Amber Baker said...

Besides, I'm a super positive thinker now so little things like that don't make me stumble--love that line! Keep up the good work! You inspire me to be more positive.

bonitinha said...

Here's my favorite red wine vinaigrette (I've never made red cabbage salad, but this is awesome on spinach salad)

3 T olive oil
3 T red wine vinegar
1/2 t dijon mustard
1 t sugar
fresh ground black pepper

I hate oily dressings too. Ick.

partypatt said...

I love vinegar, too, and routinely cut down the amount of oil and add more vinegar! I'm with you!

Colleen said...

Ha ha! I totally add time to my drive all the time to skip traffic. I'd rather be moving than not, even if it means a longer drive. So you're definitely not alone there.

I just got a hand-me-down food processor from my mom. Yay!