So the picture to the right is of Carter on his birthday. He woke up and got dressed for school and ate a breakfast of eggs and sausage before opening his presents. I have to admit I was really excited! I had been storing those scholastic science books, you know, the kind with the transparent overlays, for almost a year! I knew he'd love them and I scored them at a garage sale. I mean total score! I got the whole set for the price of one book (retails $14.95 each!). He loves them and loves that one is about pyramids. He took it to school since they are studying ancient Egypt in social studies right now. He also got a couple game cube games and 2 figures from us. It was a great day topped off by his grandparents (matt's side) treating us to The Mayan. While we were there the "chief" saw Carter wearing his birthday cake hat and came over and was bowing to Carter. He then exchanged hats with Carter so Carter got to wear a "real" mayan headdress. Pretty lucky stuff! We came home for the cake which was one of those tres leche peach filled wonders from the mexican bakery by matt's work. So his birthday day was awesome! We were so happy and excited for him! I cannot believe he is already 7! It seems like not that long ago I was laboring for 14 hours for his arrival. The bizarre thing about this year was that we were actually awake for his birth time which was 3am. He was up coughing a bit and I was in there medicating him. So interesting just sitting next to him and thinking about his birth at that time. He's such a sweet boy and I am so thankful he's mine. He's helpful, smart, funny, and kind, and I just don't know how I got so blessed to have him as my son.
The day after his birthday Matt received a call from the school while I was a few doors down visiting teaching. Matt was told that Carter had been in an accident at school at that he was bleeding from his mouth and that we needed to get there right away. Matt came and got me and I ran up the street to the car and raced to the school sans driver's license, insurance card, co-pay, etc. When I saw him he looked so sad and I immediately noticed the gaping hole to the side of his mouth. After some discussion about whether I should go to urgent care or the ER we drove to the urgent care and I called and asked Matt to meet me there with the card and $. The wait was long and we knew Kath couldn't wait for the whole thing so Carter chose which parent he wanted to stay and he chose Matt. Matt said the doctor loved Carter and said how brave he was. Carter says he didn't feel anything when he got his stitches so I'm really happy about that. The picture to the left is him with his stitches and swelling. Today the wound started leaking pus so I took him to see the on call doctor. He prescribed antibiotics and we are supposed to watch very carefully for any change for the worse. In that case it'll need to be opened and drained. Obviously, we are hoping the antibiotics will solve the problem and hoping he won't scar. He is allowed to go to school tomorrow although he cannot use drinking fountains (no getting it wet) and I am very nervous about letting him go. I know accidents are unavoidable but it's hard to let go, especially after they've been hurt.
In other news, my parents flew in for the weekend and got a shock when they arrived to see Carter's face. They had been in the air during the stitches drama so they didn't know until I opened the door that we had had drama that day. They are always so loving with the kids and it was so nice to see them spend quality time with my kiddos. They had Carter busy and happy and his mind off of the injury and Katherine was laughing and smiling at them in no time. It was a very special weekend for us. Carter had a few friends over for cupcakes and parachute and toy playing and it was fun to see them all interact. My parents just left an hour ago so I have the let down of them leaving again and to be honest I'm pretty stressed about Carter's infection. Katherine was totally overstimulated from the kids yesterday and slept horribly so my mind is a bit muddled. I guess this is why Heavenly Father has only given us 2 kids. I'd be a nervous wreck with any more because I already am beside myself with worry over the 2 that I have. While I know that we are so blessed and have it so good I have to admit it's been a really rough 2 months. My wisdom teeth extractions and resulting dry socket and 2 infections have been awful for me and I'm still having to flush the extraction holes every time I eat. I've lost a few more pounds because it isn't even worth it to eat anymore but it is still frustrating as is the electrical pain I still am having from the side of my mouth still being numb/tingly. Sometimes I wake up at night with it feeling like it's on fire and I just push my face into the pillow as hard as I can since the pressure helps me not notice it as much. It's a good sign and I'm thankful for it I just don't like it. On top of that Katherine has had a couple colds, Carter had a horrible cough and cold with fever that lasted 6 days, Katherine had an eye infection, a bloody nose, I ended up in urgent care with a virus that created a big swollen mass in my mouth, and I have paid a small fortune in co-pays the past couple months. Going back again on Wednesday for Carter's stitches to be removed and Thursday for Katherine's 6 month well baby appt. I'm canceling Carter's appt on the 18th because he's been to see the doctor enough lately he doesn't need a 7 year old check up right now. I know our medical bills are nothing compared to people with major stuff but honestly I am so sick of it. I feel like every time I turn around I'm paying for a prescription or a co-pay. I can just be thankful that at least we have insurance now. We haven't always as we have gotten declined when we apply because of our medical issues. Matt has it through his work and it is a blessing it's just still expensive because all health care costs are. I just had my blood work done a little over a week ago and get to go back to the rheumatologist. Yea me! At least it won't be for awhile because trying to get into a rheumatologist is like trying to win the lottery almost. It takes months for the next available appointment. My inflammation levels were higher as I expected since I can feel the difference. Not sure if I'll go back on sulfa drugs or methotrexate or not. I'm hoping I can just manage it with normal stuff but we'll see what the doctor says. I don't want more bone damage so if I need meds then fine I'll do it. At least I'm still worlds better than I was in 2003-2005. I'm thankful every time I can run up the stairs instead of taking one painful step at a time.

5 comments:
I'm so sorry you've been having such a rough time. :( That all sounds just miserable. Hang in there!
Oh, Jen, what a time you guys have had! I hope it's over for now and your teeth will finally heal up and Carter won't have any scarring or anything else. I'm so sorry you've had such a rough time! I'm thinking of you!
poor carter...that is a pretty sucky place to get stitches! :( ...and I wondered why you were having a party this weekend and I wasn't invited! Now I know...and we can be friends again. :)
That all stinks pretty bad. I'm so sorry about Carter. He kind of looks like the Joker and the Joker won an oscar so everything will work out. See the logic there? I hope everything can calm down for you. The weather is slowly warming, minus the next few days. We'll be back in the gardens before you know it.
Carter has healed up so well! I could barely even see the mark the other day, and I was editing his photos close up!
Post a Comment