

It was Science Fair time at Carter's school last week and I have to say it's one of my favorite times of the year. I've always loved science fairs, well actually any fairs. It isn't mandatory for grades K-3 to participate but Carter is really into science and so I asked him if he wanted to do a project and he did. The school had a list of topics per grade that the projects could be about so he picked water buoyancy and its changes of matter. I don't believe in parents doing projects for kids. I started believing that way in 4th grade when we all had to make replica California Missions and this boy named Bryan came to class with his that even had a working fountain and honestly looked like some model you'd see in a graduate school engineering class. His model was chosen to stay in the classroom and I think he got some award and I remember being steamed since there was no one in heck Bryan made that mission. Maybe his dad let him sprinkle the fine gravel on the "walkways" but that was probably the extent of it. So anyway, Carter completed his experiment and then made his poster himself. The only thing I helped him with was with spelling. Have I said how much I love Carter's school? I REALLY love his school. At the science fair all students were recognized and given an award. Carter got a certificate, a medal, a pop rocks thing, and a door prize. He left thinking that he was the smartest most awesome kid ever which is exactly what I want him to think. So last year he did an experiment about magnets, this year water buoyancy, and I'm excited to see what he'll want to do next year. I may even break down and buy one of those tri-fold poster boards next year since he enjoys doing experiments so much. I really feel the need to give him opportunities to experiment since his big assessment last year showed that he was beyond the high range for science. Focus on those strengths right?! Besides he wants to be an astronaut so I guess he needs to start science stuff really early. I hope I can send him to space camp someday. Didn't we all just love that 80's movie? "Jinx sent Max to space, Jinx will get Max back!"

4 comments:
cute pics Jen. he is a smart little thing!
Good job Carter! I always loved science fairs too.
He is so cute! I love him, I still have his note posted. It makes me smile!
Way to go Carter....Great job...
Post a Comment