Please excuse the 80's A-team reference. I couldn't help myself. I pity the fool who has teenagers. I have just a week over 6 years before Carter is a teenager. AH! I will try to stretch out those years as long as possible. This morning I was searching through my completely unorganized cedar chest looking for something. Before I found the something, I found a poem I had written 4/21/93 for an English class. I read it and realized I no longer have the brain capabilities I once had. Then I thought that perhaps it is the same but I don't have that horrible teenage raw emotion to create such a poem (well sonnet actually). This thought led me to remember just how awful teenagers are. As a friend and I recently discussed when talking about the down sides of facebook you can have the best home life, a couple good friends, and still be miserable. I attribute that to the crazy hormones. I loved that Kristen posted her poetry from way back when so I am going to post this poem. It's crazy. Honestly if I had a few weeks with nothing to do but sit and write a poem I could not recreate this. That's why I say it's all about the crazy chemical imbalance that teenagers have. Oh my gosh only 6 years left till he may write like this!
Yours in the shadow of my open door.
Your eyes full of mystery, mine, sadness.
My teardrops fall violently to the floor.
I utter a small prayer for you "Please Bless"
Was it meant to turn out this teary way?
Maybe, I wish we had just never met.
He's gone, gone for good is all I can say.
Loving you, I cannot ever regret.
Can it e'r be more? Can it begin?
All I can think of are my thoughts of you.
Yet thinking of you is possibly sin.
The green lucious, leaves, the smell of the dew,
spring, beautiful for a season then ends.
Back to the world where it never begins.
Oh woe is me! Laughing out loud actually. Talk about DRAMA! I got an A on it for excellent meter, perfect rhyme and the following comment "There are so many images and allusions that are poetically beautiful in this sonnet. Beautifully written." Thank you teacher (who I don't remember) for the opportunity to allow my lunatic teenage emotions to form a sonnet. haha!
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I can't write poetry anymore either. No more angst. Or, different angst anyway that doesn't seem so poetic.
Love it. Just you wait, Annabelle and Carter already have the hour long phone calls down.
When I read it all I could think about is how real it is. That this is the kind of stuff that makes Twilight plausible. It's all so harsh and raw at that age. Your sonnet is very well done. I'm glad I don't have those strong emotions too much anymore, maybe one to two weeks a month, which does turn out to be a good chunk of my life. Oh crap.
wow....i had no idea that you felt that way about me way back then! :) hee hee
My favorite part is your use of e'r. Ha ha! I don't think I've got the guts to post my old poetry. Yikes. Yeah, I used to write. But then I got happy and everyone knows happiness and good poetry cannot coexist.
I did write one right after I met Jim that ended with the line, "Apocalypse of my solitude." Love and drama. Good times.
Post a Comment