Thursday, January 22, 2009

Wanted: great doctor for 2 cute kids


So we are having issues with all our doctors right now. At Katherine's 4 month visit I scheduled her 6 month appt for March 13th. They are always so booked that her appt that should be Feb 26th is March 13th and every time I go her appointments get further and further apart. This morning I realized that Carter will need his 7 year check up in March especially because I want the doctor to check his growth and discuss his asthma treatment. I called to get an appointment in March. We are in January so I thought I'd be good but surprise surprise there is nothing available until March 27th. Sigh..... It's so frustrating! Not only that but the doctor is always out of the country. He is incredibly nice and I love that he takes the time to answer all my questions. I really like his dedication and it's awesome that he does so much humanitarian work in other countries but I wish he'd be here more. I know that sounds selfish but pretty much any time we've had a problem (like when Katherine needed breathing treatments and was so sick) he has been out. It's frustrating to have to talk to on call doctors and practioners who don't know my kids and their medical histories etc. Not only that but I've gotten conflicting information from talking to other doctors and/or practioners so I just want to talk to their doctor. As much as I love our doctor I am considering switching purely so we can have someone who has appointments available and who is available by phone. We were majorly spoiled in California. Maybe because there are fewer kids there? Our pediatrian there came to the USA during the Iranian Revolution. She absolutely doted on Carter and we could call her anytime. There wasn't an answering service, she answered the calls anytime of night. Dr. Kathryn Afagh Khorashadi for my California readers. She really is a great doctor.

The second doctor issue we are having has to do with Matt's/my doctor. She seems good but she only works on Wednesdays and Fridays. This is a scheduling nightmare since her appointments get scheduled way out. Our medical deductible was met this year (thanks cricket!) so I told Matt to get his lone kidney checked out again since it had been awhile. The appts were so backed up that by the time he got in it was close to the end of the year. Sure enough, the second week in January his doctor called to say that she'd like Matt to have another ultrasound. I was so angry and frustrated. He's not getting it done, he's just going to get his blood work checked again in a few months. I am having trouble getting my prescriptions refilled and with her not being there much I don't really feel like she's up on everything that's going on with me. I called the insurance to find someone closer but everyone we can go to is in Pleasant Grove and I hate driving there. Obviously that is not a problem that is going to be solved so now I'd love some recommendations. Do you really like your doctor? If so leave a comment and I'll call and see if they take our insurance. I'll probably get lots of recommendations to go to Alpine Pediatrics and I do love Dr. Vargo but they don't take our insurance anymore. I guess I just needed to vent about how frustrated I am with our doctors right now.

9 comments:

Kristen said...

I do love Dr. Vargo although she hasn't been as helpful with all Nathan's issues (that was what started the referral which led to referral and more referrals, which was a nightmare).
I haven't seen any other peds (other than the Alpine Peds) in the area so I don't know. Let us know if you find someone else you like!

as for me personally, I have seen Dr. Allred at Zenith Family Med and have really liked him. Good luck!

Jane said...

I also love Dr. Vargo, but don't want to go to AF to see her. My kids see Dr. Pavich. I really like him. I also really like Dr. Tucker at Crossroads Family Medicine. maybe they take your insurance?

Sarah said...

I totally believe in traveling for a good doc. I'm really picky so I don't mind driving. My docs are all by the hospital and I used to drive up to the U of U. So...I will be of no help to you. so sorry.

Jen Morrison said...

I just want the best of all, the best doctor, the best availability, at the closest location. Having a great doc is great but if my child is really sick I don't want an hour distance to get them to the doctor. It's way scary and stressful enough as it is.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Dr. Tucker is a family practice doc. so he might work for everyone. I love that he takes copious notes during the visit and seems to really listen to you.

However I love my doctor in Orem, Allen Olsen, unfortunately IHC. I don't have to go very often so I don't mind driving when I do need him.

We go to Alpine Peds, but Utah Valley Peds has a lot of good doctors. I'm sure you can find another one in the same practice. I like Dr. Simmons, and Dr. Wynn. They were both in Orem, so I don't know if they go to AF at all. Good luck.

Amber Baker said...

I love Jeff Abrahams at Alpine Peds, but he's only at PG office now. I also have seen Dr. Whiting and Dr. Pavich. Their both good. There's a family practice doctor at Saratoga Instacare that I really like. Dr. Christensen. He's young and he's a friend of a really good friend of mine. He is also super nice and when I saw him--the one time--I really liked him.

Sarah said...

Jen..I did see a dr. at the Saratoga Instacare...I totally forgot about this...I had a UTI and he was super nice and told me how pretty and beautiful I was throughout the entire appt. So, needless to say..I will be going back. :)..mostly just for my self esteem. haha

bonitinha said...

I went to Crossroads once and saw the nurse practitioner. I like that they're family practice and can look at the big family picture and get to know everyone. And they're close. Switching docs is such a pain but so worth it if you can find the right match for you. I hope you work it out!

Colleen said...

I go to Alpine Pediatrics and also see Dr. Pavich. I like them, bummer that your insurance isn't accepted there!