Tuesday, September 7, 2010

No August?

I cannot believe I didn't have a single post in August! I know August came and went and it's sad that I don't have anything to document it. I didn't even do a birthday post for Katherine. I'm a pathetic mom. I promise to do a great birthday post, maybe next week. There is too much to write about her being an adorable 2 year old to write it today. Today. We are treading water as school has begun and I've struggled to maintain, adapt, and grow simultaneously. I'll have a day where I am lying on the floor playing calico critters with Katherine and I think life is perfect. Then I'll have a day where I am completely overwhelmed. I've heard this is normal so I'm not too worried. I think it's just the normal life of a mom. So here is the snapshot of me trying my best to be a normal mom. My morning routine often includes running to look at my calendar to see which obligations are on my plate for the day. I don't feel like I have too much to do at one time but it seems that days where things conflict are happening more than they should. Does that make any sense? I am juggling my traditional roles which I absolutely love. There is nothing better than being a wife, mother, daugther, and friend. I am also loving being a primary teacher. I don't mind the time it takes to prepare the lesson, find a handout activity, make copies on Wednesdays, and pass out them to the kids who miss church. The kids are so great and being in primary is the PERFECT place for me. I love the spirit there and that I can sing half of the church time away. I am a den leader which I am honestly still trying to figure out. I didn't realize that in addition to the den meetings, planning a month's worth of them every other month, committee meetings once a month, pack meetings once a month I am also supposed to be keeping track of each boy's progress and personally meeting the ones who don't attend often, and sending reminders. I'm trying to not be resentful that the meeting time can't be changed unless I host it (picture free babysitting, empty cupboards, broken furniture, scattered items, and coughing snotty kids running through my house and then ask me why I wouldn't want to host it). It conflicts with the local Irish dance classes (Carter has been begging for dance lessons) so I'll be driving to Riverton instead of going to the local ones. I'm also an Eagle Scout Counselor which doesn't entail a whole lot since I am failing at motivating any of them or their parents to do a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g. So I organize binders to give to them or make handouts, leave messages, facebook messages, get stood up for meetings if I ever get far enough to get one scheduled, make handouts or displays for courts of honor and try to keep my boss updated on the lack of progress I am making despite my attempts. I'm the school council secretary which means I have a meeting every couple of months and write the agenda and then type up the minutes. I am married to the soccer coach who still asks me for help when I didn't even sign up to be team mom. I teach Carter's class idioms every Friday at 2pm. I find myself volunteering for things and then getting stressed about self imposed deadlines. For example if I haven't seen my 3 vt sisters by the second week of the month I start to get frantic thinking we won't be able to visit. It's really silly of me. When I see it all written out I just think I'm either forgetting some other roles or I am just plain silly. It really isn't much. Gotta go it's time to pick up Carter from school and drop him off at his piano lesson. In fact, when I get feeling overwhelmed I should just be thankful I have less to do than Carter. He has homework, piano practice, soccer practice, choir practice, scout meeting, and now because he has begged, he'll have his dance lessons.

4 comments:

bonitinha said...

Sounds busy and wonderful! So many great things to be involved in, but I hear you about the time crunch... it can definitely be overwhelming! I'm sure you'll balance it beautifully.

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Holy busy, Batman. That sounds so packed. I'm glad that you can do it, I think I would lose it, but I do know that about me. That's why my kids don't play sports. I decided they would appreciate a sane mother more than a soccer game. Good luck, babe. I'm here if you need me.

partypatt said...

Jen, are you trying to do too much? It sounds like it!

Colleen said...

You have a crazy, chaotic life, my friend! I hope my need for simplicity and sanity doesn't make my kids feel cheated someday. :)