Monday, May 31, 2010

Goodbye to Second Grade



I can't believe my sweet boy will be going into 3rd grade in the fall. This year has flown by probably even faster than last year which was a whirlwind. Carter enjoyed his class and I, of course, absolutely love the school Carter is attending. I love volunteering in his classroom because the kids always make me feel like a rock star. It's a big ego boost. There were so many activities it is so hard to sum up the year but there were a million class parties and projects, Carter was a dancing skeleton in the school play, he read a billion books and had a goal of 25 AR points per quarter (which he met all 4 quarters), and sung his little heart out at the second grade music recital. Seeing him up there singing Dixie Land just about killed me. He learned to sing Swing Low Sweet Chariot from his school music teacher and I kid you not he has the sweetest tenor voice that I bet can melt a heart of stone. I have him sing it to me whenever I am feeling like my heart may turn to stone. His teacher said he was friends with everyone and a good helper. I found several love notes, from different girls I might add, and had to talk to him a little more in depth about love. He came home from the school awards assembly with an award from the principal for Excellence. When I saw the principal I asked if it was an academic award or what since it didn't say and she said it was for academics and excellence in all areas which cracks me up. I am proud of him for being a good, smart, funny kid. He continues to crack us up and is as dramatic as ever and as fond of justice and fairness and any federal court judge. He got a huge surprise on pet day at school. I told him that his dad was bringing him home a dog. That evening Matt brought home an adorable little chug he named Kip after Kip Dynamite. He's a cutie and Carter's best buddy. He sleeps in a crate next to Carter's bed and I have to say Kip has been great for all of us. Katherine is starting to share, Carter is getting more responsible and I have a cute little furry friend to cuddle with when Katherine won't let me hold her. Funny how independent 21 month olds are. Carter seems to have grown so much this year. He's physically bulkier though still wearing a size 7 though he's 8 years old. When I look at his face I can see the outline of his teenager face and it fills me with anxiety to think about how few years really lie between now and 18 year old independence. It's been an emotional year for Carter as he has adapted to having an adorable sister who requires more attention than she used to since she's proven herself to be a dare devilish, won't take no for an answer toddler. She's absolutely magical and wonderful but we've gone through a biting phase, a pull Carter off the piano bench phase, and a take Carter's toys and won't give them back stage. Still, he's always wanting to hug his sister and wakes her up in the morning with a kiss on the forehead. She is still his "precious, cutie pie, precious," or his "queenie." Carter has learned a lot of the tough parts in life. He is a very tender soul and so learning history has been a bit gut wrenching at times for him. He was very upset about the Martin Luther King Jr. assassination he learned about as well as the Revolutionary and Civil Wars that he learned about. It's been hard as a parent to watch him try to process what he is learning and feeling. The other day on our way to the gardens I told him one of the most important things I wanted to teach him was that yes evil exists in this world but that there are millions and millions of miracles that happen everyday. I choose to dwell on those miracles. Yes I protest rodeos and flier all the cars in the walmart parking lot with leaflets from PETA but at the end of the day one has to be able to not live in sadness but to be able to rejoice in hearing the birds singing, or watching a bee get pollen from a flower or all the other hundreds of miracles we walk or drive past everyday. It is important to try to make a difference. I've done a good job teaching Carter to not be apathetic but now I am finding myself trying to right the ship without making an over-correction. It is important to stand up for what is right, and to do what is right, and to be altruistic but that being said, we cannot spend each thought on what is wrong in the world, we need to have joy! Can't tell you how many morning scripture times before school we have read scriptures that focus on being happy and how to be happy. Speaking of happiness Carter was very happy to have friends over for an end of the year waterslide party and we are over the moon excited for summer. I am looking forward to a wonderful summer with more waterslide parties, pool visits, day trips, and just time together. I feel sick even think about having to turn back into the homework monitoring mom so I am just going to focus on the second and third aspect of what I think is going to be my new motto Work Hard, Play Hard, Sleep Well.

5 comments:

partypatt said...

Thanks for a thought-provoking and informative post! I loved hearing about Carter's second grade year and rejoice with you in the kind of boy he's becoming! I'm grateful that you are able to find the good and happiness in each day in spite of having such a tender heart. Tender hearted people do suffer more than the average person, I believe. I love you Jen and am grateful for your example to me!

Colleen said...

Aw, such a sweet, sensitive boy. It's got to be tough seeing him learn about the ugly things in the world. I'm sure you'll be able to teach him perspective in time and he will see all of the wonderful things in the world. You're a great mom. :)

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Yay, summer. Enjoy!

bonitinha said...

What's a chug and where are the pictures? Carter is such a wonderful kid! I just love him to pieces!

bonitinha said...

Oh, duh, there's the pup in the first one. I was distracted with cute carter! But still what is a chug?