I was really excited to hear that our little local bookstore was hosting a book signing! I wasn't familiar with the author since I don't read many fantasy novels but I do love the excitement of meeting authors, supporting local businesses, and mostly giving Carter new experiences. I googled Brandon Sanderson to see what books he writes and saw that he has a series for middle school students called Alcatraz (the name of the character not the prison). Anyway, the synopsis is that the world is ruled by evil librarians. Sounded intriguing so I bought a copy at the local bookstore and we brought it back for the signing. By the way he has a ton of books so I'll need to add some to my reading list. As always happens when I am stuck in a long line, the guy behind me was entirely obnoxious and was talking SO loud and bashing his ex wife to his friends who came with him. It was obvious from their pained expressions and body language (think, I don't really know this guy) that they were as unhappy as I was. I told Carter he could go snuggle up on the couch close to the fireplace (cozy bookstore) and start reading the book. He happily strode off. I waited most of the rest of the hour wishing I could kill the guy behind me but we finally made it towards the front. When Carter was almost directly in front of the author some older guy with a very fancy camera and long lens started taking pictures so I will have to watch the local papers and see if Carter is in any of the pictures. Mr. Sanderson was very nice and said I looked familiar and asked where he knew me from. I really did think he looked familiar too but I knew there was no way I'd be able to place from where and I was honestly nervous so I replied that he looked familiar too but that was because he's famous. Good grief I am the biggest geek ever! He was really sweet and let me take Carter's picture with him (above). We then headed over to Wasatch Deli to share a piece of cheesecake. It was so fun to spend time with my sweet boy. Carter recommends the Alcatraz book. He said it's so funny he keeps dropping it and has to find his page again. I think that's a rather good endorsement. :-) And I wonder where I previously met that nice author.
Saturday, January 16, 2010
Local Book Signing
I was really excited to hear that our little local bookstore was hosting a book signing! I wasn't familiar with the author since I don't read many fantasy novels but I do love the excitement of meeting authors, supporting local businesses, and mostly giving Carter new experiences. I googled Brandon Sanderson to see what books he writes and saw that he has a series for middle school students called Alcatraz (the name of the character not the prison). Anyway, the synopsis is that the world is ruled by evil librarians. Sounded intriguing so I bought a copy at the local bookstore and we brought it back for the signing. By the way he has a ton of books so I'll need to add some to my reading list. As always happens when I am stuck in a long line, the guy behind me was entirely obnoxious and was talking SO loud and bashing his ex wife to his friends who came with him. It was obvious from their pained expressions and body language (think, I don't really know this guy) that they were as unhappy as I was. I told Carter he could go snuggle up on the couch close to the fireplace (cozy bookstore) and start reading the book. He happily strode off. I waited most of the rest of the hour wishing I could kill the guy behind me but we finally made it towards the front. When Carter was almost directly in front of the author some older guy with a very fancy camera and long lens started taking pictures so I will have to watch the local papers and see if Carter is in any of the pictures. Mr. Sanderson was very nice and said I looked familiar and asked where he knew me from. I really did think he looked familiar too but I knew there was no way I'd be able to place from where and I was honestly nervous so I replied that he looked familiar too but that was because he's famous. Good grief I am the biggest geek ever! He was really sweet and let me take Carter's picture with him (above). We then headed over to Wasatch Deli to share a piece of cheesecake. It was so fun to spend time with my sweet boy. Carter recommends the Alcatraz book. He said it's so funny he keeps dropping it and has to find his page again. I think that's a rather good endorsement. :-) And I wonder where I previously met that nice author.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Oh my word, Carter looks so grown up in that picture. I admire you for doing that. It is a cozy bookstore. Maybe you and the author were in the same singles ward in CA.
Yeah! That is so awesome.
What a cool story! How fun that you two got to do that!
funny story....he is our home teacher here in AF! hahaha funny funny
Post a Comment